Question about Pony Xpress

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
As I am trying to serve the good people of this community by offering my ability to haul stuff while I'm all over the place with work, I have a question: Since I normally travel off of a schedule set 2-3 weeks in advance, would it be advantageous for me to post weekly my intended schedule? If so, would it be best to list cities, major routes, or both? TIA.
Jerry

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Wow, itt's been an hour and DaveO has not replied!? Dave are you OK? Where are theose elves when you need them.

Jerry, it couldn't hurt to provide your travel itinerary and route in advance as you propose. If your're willing to share I don't see a downside.

Doug

cskipper

Cathy
It's very generous of you and other who are traveling to offer serve as the wwer express. So this will sound paranoid (but remember, "just because you are paranoid does not mean that they aren't out to get you"). Because of the times we live in I wouldn't think it's a good idea to post your schedule too far out because you are also stating that you won't be home during those times. I'm sure this is safe within the confines of this group, but others do read posts. I know that several years ago another member's wife asked him to not be so free with the information that he/they were away. I realize that we only provide a certain amount of information in our profiles, but internet wizards are good at piecing together information.

Could make this kind of post a members only section??

Last edited:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
It's very generous of you and other who are traveling to offer serve as the wwer express. So this will sound paranoid (but remember, "just because you are paranoid does not mean that they aren't out to get you"). Because of the times we live in I wouldn't think it's a good idea to post your schedule too far out because you are also stating that you won't be home during those times. I'm sure this is safe within the confines of this group, but others do read posts. I know that several years ago another member's wife asked him to not be so free with the information that he/they were away. I realize that we only provide a certain amount of information in our profiles, but internet wizards are good at piecing together information.

Seems to me like the pony express should be a members only section any way.
Cathy, had not considered that. Good point. And I agree with Cathy & Mike in this being member only access. Fine by me. Someone (read:admin) show me how & I'll post that way.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Jerry, I would not post my schedule at all. When somone has a need let them post. If you can help, just PM them. Only members can post and only members can receive PM's.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Seems to me like the pony express should be a members only section any way.
Mike, good idea. But, we are looking at the whole issue of what is a member and I don't wantto add any more "restricted" areas until that discussion is finished.

Cliff

New User
Cliff
I certainly agree with Steve... and as generous as your offer is, I'd hate to become dependent on you!:rotflm:

Seriously, though... the spirit of generosity that sparked the NCWW Pony Express does not apply to the real world, and unfortunately, the real world can access this forum.

Thanks for the incredible offer, though, Jerry. If nothing else, you've set my mind to thinking about a web-based solution that protects donors' privacies, perhaps a site in which you could anonymously contribute cartage and only identify yourself to those who take you up on your offer.

Craigslist has a 'rideshare' forum in which you can ask for/offer rides across town or across the country. CL's anonymizer email provides a little security, but of course, driving to California with a stranger might not be the best idea. NCWW has a little social 'vetting' built right in... we all kinda know each other, at least in spirit.

But that's just me... I wanna take every problem and turn it into a web-based problem. Geeks will be geeks...:roll:

Thanks again, Jerry... another reminder of what a great group of people the NCWW forum is!

Cliff

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't worry about it. To quote my neighbor:
"Lock up the small stuff. It takes too much work and time to get the big stuff. The reason they're theives is that they don't want to work." How would some bad person know who was left at home when you are tavelling?

I have a fearless Junior Rottweiler with 8 canine teeth who would love for someone to come into my shop. :gar-La;

Seriously, if they don't get licked to death from him there's the 120db alarm that will make them uncomfortable and a loaded 12 gauge with a woman who knows how to use it shortly after that.
Yeah, come on to my shop uninvited. We'd love to greet you.

:rotflm:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I don't worry about it. To quote my neighbor:
"Lock up the small stuff. It takes too much work and time to get the big stuff. The reason they're theives is that they don't want to work."

Mark,
Truer words were never spoken. Years ago I lived in a 'changing ' neighborhood. My father was the 'super' of the building that we lived in and we started having trouble with Graffiti 'artists' spray painting on the side of the building. They would spray and I would clean it off, I only had to do it twice. Then they started doing it on other buildings, my father asked why they stopped doing it on our building and I told that they were lazy and by repeating their stuff on the same spot it was like work for them. We soon moved out and I passed that building five years later and there still wasn't any markings on it.
Criminals are lazy, make them work for it and 99% go away.

Jimmy:)

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
On the flip side there is the saying, "Locks only keep honest people honest." I watched in amazement one day as 4 kids (the oldest being about 9) stole a car using a prybar, a coat hanger and a screw driver. The vehicle was locked. Someone who wants it bad enough will find a way to steal it. We stopped them in the neighboring parking lot and chased them into an apartment building. They were going for a joy ride. (As a security officer, I wasn't allowed to do anything until they actually stole the vehicle). I'm with the rest who say...don't post your schedule Jerry.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm gone three nights a week, the rest of the week I'm sittin' in the dark with my shotgun.

You guess which three.

:qleft7:

J

jeff...

Don't tell that to BAS :bom:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS