Prototype Collapsible SCMS Dust Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
As I have mentioned to some of you I have been working on this prototype collapsible SCMS dust hood for some time. I wanted something that was low cost, covered the rear of the saw in any orientation, and collapsed. I used some left over ½” ply and some 1” ply, some old piano hinges, one window blind from Lowes, a PVC toilet connection flange, 16 grommets and a grommet tool.

P10100234.JPG

P10100213.JPG

I made the base support from the ½ ply and sized it based on the extreme left and right-most positions of the SCMS. I had intended to make the side ¼ circles but this did not leave enough room for the saw when it was in the rear-most position. So the tops of the sides are angled backwards. I drilled holes in the top of each side and inserted dowels. The sides are attached to the base with piano hinges.

P10100224.JPG

P10100245.JPG

The blind is attached to a support connected to the rear of the base with the round pin end of the blind fitting into a hole in one side and the opposing flange in s chiseled groove. A 4” hole was made in the middle of the back and the toilet flange was attached below this hole. A second smaller hole was made in the bottom for the power cord.
P10100255.JPG

P10100263.JPG

I made holes on each side of the blind and attached 3/8” grommets with a grommet tool.
P10100263.JPG

The sides pivot up and the blind is then pulled up and onto the sides so that the dowels extend through the grommet holes. I had almost all materials on hand and only had to buy the toilet flange, blind grommets and grommet tool. Total cost was about $35.
P10100273.JPG

I plan to submit this to a magazine as a tip. Let me know what you think.

Doug

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It ain't pretty, but I bet it works well:-D:lol:. Are the sides far enough back to allow stock to extend past them?...it's hard to tell fom the pics. How well does it suck????

Dave:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Good eye Dave, Yes I have to move the saw foward for long stock. I may disassemble and shorten the sides for just that reason.

Also, the unit would probably be a lot smaller if I had a Kapex!:laughing7 Would that look too wierd? A $35 hood on a $1300 saw? :gar-La;

Doug

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
So Doug, does this project Suck? It looks like a nicely executed idea. Here's to a job well done. :icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Doug, great design. I had a hard time visualizing it until I saw the pictures.
Here's an idea for a modification: Cut out a rectangle in the side pieces, and re-attach it with a hinge. The idea is that you raise the side piece to make the hood, but then fold the rectangle towards the miter saw, making it even with the table. Now you have extra support for long stock, AND you don't have to pull the saw forward. Hope I'm explaining it right.

Also, I'm wondering if you could make it all out of fabric, instead of having wooden sides. You could take three roll-up curtains, mount those on the cabinet, and then pull all three out/ up into a triangle. You just need a string suspended from the ceiling with a small hook to attach the three curtains. Once you unhook them, they'll roll themselves back up. But, with a good amount of suction, fabric only may be too weak.

My miter saw sits unused right now, because I hate how much dust it blows over my workbench. I really like your design, since it is fairly compact.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
One other issue is the grommets interfere with the blind rolling up. I might use smaller dowels and grommets next time. I cut some wood and it did improve the amount of dust that blew all over the place. It is not perfect:no:. But that is why I call it a prototype. One issue is that it is so big a lot of dust does not reach the dust hole. A smaller hood that tracked with the saw would be better. Im still thinking.

Doug

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting design.:icon_thum Have you thought about other materials for the top/rear? Those blinds may not stand up to a lot of abuse over time & you may want to consider something like a painter's drop cloth or a piece of PVC tarp. :eusa_thin Keep at it & keep us posted. I've read some good suggestions on it & I'm sure others here can help you as well.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Doug, if you want other material to experiment with, I have a spare bulk bag you can cut up. This is what I sell, a polypropylene woven fabric made into a bag roughly 35"x35"x48", designed to carry up to 2205# dry weight. I have both coated (moisture resistant) and uncoated (breathable) bags. Just let me know.

So far as that goes, we have some smaller (6 & 12 cubic foot capacity, IIRC) surplus bags in stock that may suit those with dust & chip collection for removing their waste. I think these also have fill & discharge spouts, but I can check & confirm. Anyone interested in trying one? If so let me know & I'll get you one.

Last edited:

Rocker

New User
John
Doug,
Your idea for dust collection is much more compact than mine, and more appealing to the eye. How well does it work for you? Have you tried using a shroud?
John (Rocker)

M

McRabbet

Doug,

It looks good, so far, but here are a few suggestions.

1) Eliminate the pegs and grommets and replace them with a u-shaped metal channel atop each side piece (facing saw) that would hold the edge of the window shade as it came up and over the side pieces;

2) Make a V-shaped trough full width side-to-side and about 4-5" front-to-back that sits behind the saw, but in front of the shade unit (slope of V as steep as practical) -- either make the V flat bottomed to hold your flange or it attach flange at the backside of the V -- most sawdust will fall down the V and be collected toward the dust port;

3) Use 6" duct port for higher exhaust volume.

HTH -- My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS