[Problem-Help Desk] Intro help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been able to figure out how to post a message and have been able to reply to another message, but I have tried six times to post an intro message and get lost each time - this is driving me nuts.

I go to new thread in the Who are we forum, then spend an hour typing a message and when I click on submit post I get sent to the V-bulletin screen saying I do not have permission. When I go back the message is lost. What am I doing wrong. I have tried this 6 times - I must be an idiot? I will gladly pay someone to come an show me what I am doing wrong.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Phil something weird is going on. Try a test post that is short and sweet and see if it will go through. If you are composing a novel for a post and it's taking a long time (30 minutes) or more the site might be timing out on you.
Try that and if it works you'll just have to learn to type faster :lol::lol: If not let me know and we'll look other problems.
You have the permission to create a thread and post replies so you shouldn't be having any problems.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Phil,

I suspect that you are getting timed out by taking longer that the preset "no activity" timer. Try to post a brief, one-two paragraph bio and see if that works. Hopefully, you have Logged in under your username (it will show in the upper right corner of the Menu, right under the Blue Help Button).

As an aside, you never need to Logout of the site; when you login, check the Remember Me box and when you are done with a session, just go elsewhere to another URL, or just exit your Browser. Next time you return, a browser cookie will log you in automatically.

One other trick in case you are worried about a long post being timed out. Select the entire contents of the Message box by going to the start of it, hold down the shift key and move the mouse cursor to the end of the message to highlight it. Then press CTL-C to copy the selection into the Windows buffer. If your message doesn't go through when you press the Post button, you can try again and press CTL-V to paste it into the message window.

Hope this helps, but holler back if it doesn't!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for your help I guess I am just a "special" case. I probably did spend more than thirty minutes typing the message but I am not sure my 57 year old fingers can be trained to type any faster. How do I keep this system from timing me out? I did click on remember my but I continually have to keep redoing the login - even after loging in if I go to read a PM then I must login again - seems strange. Is it something in my computer - my cookies are disabled and I am using AVG security software.
Thanks for the help.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks for your help I guess I am just a "special" case. I probably did spend more than thirty minutes typing the message but I am not sure my 57 year old fingers can be trained to type any faster. How do I keep this system from timing me out? I did click on remember my but I continually have to keep redoing the login - even after loging in if I go to read a PM then I must login again - seems strange. Is it something in my computer - my cookies are disabled and I am using AVG security software.
Thanks for the help.
If you have hit the remember me box and you are still timimg out like you describe, then your machine is NOT accepting our cookies. What OS, Browser, etc are you running. Do have any special adware, spyware programs being run on your machine.

M

McRabbet

Phil -- my method will let you recover what you've typed, but the key thing that you must change is that your browser must be set to accept cookies. As long as your AVG software is up-to-date, it will protect you. If you have a setting that allows selection of certain sites to select cookies, then that is the best solution.

Monty

New User
Monty
How do I keep this system from timing me out?

If you're composing a "long-winded" post, the simplest thing to do is to get in the habit of clicking the "Preview Post" button every so often - maybe every 5 minutes or so. That way, you can see what you've typed so far, and scroll down and continue typing right where you left off... and the system won't "forget" that you're out there still posting. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS