Plunge cutting with a cove router bit

Shapiro

D. Ball
User
I am trying to make a cove cut for oyster clamps. Can cut the cove with a table saw. but that doesn't allow me to stop and have a rounded, finished edge on the bottom.

Can't seem to find any guidance on using a cove router bit with a plunge router. Does anyone have any experience with his ?

1711387368248.png

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
My thinking is a jig that captures the wood securely and on top of that goes another piece of wood with guide rails and limit stops for the router.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
How large is that stopped fluting? (l x w x d)

There’s no real issue plunge cutting with a cove bit (other than risk of burning the wood) but a cove bit is going to max out around 3/4 to 1” diameter. If the groove for your stopped fluting is much wider, you won’t get a nice hemisphere on the stopped portion…

-Mar

Shapiro:

Using a fluting or core box bit will burn the end of the cut, although I have had success with moving the bit (or the wood) into the end of the cut very briefly and then backing it out, and turning off the router when the bit is away from the end, so that the bit has minimal contact with the wood already cut, thus lessening the tendency to burn.

With a bit this size, you should probably use a router table, with guides for the wood and a stop at the end, incrementally raising the bit using repeated passes until you have the cut that you want.

The link below might be the bit you are looking for.

2-1/4" core box bit

Hope this helps.
Tone

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
You co do it with a tablesaw, it would require a fixture to spin the part over the blade. Take a look at my post on doing a seat scoop. On the seat scoop the pivot point is offset so you can cut an arch. For this one you would pivot over the center of the blade. You would start with the part in place, raise the blade a bit, cove cut to the right, pivot 180, go back to the left, pivot 180. Raise the blade a bit more, repeat until depth is achieved.

Pointfiveone.5

Dru
Senior User
How large is that stopped fluting? (l x w x d)

There’s no real issue plunge cutting with a cove bit (other than risk of burning the wood) but a cove bit is going to max out around 3/4 to 1” diameter. If the groove for your stopped fluting is much wider, you won’t get a nice hemisphere on the stopped portion…

-Mar
Ive got a 2 1/4" crown moulding bit (Amana # 54414) that I have used to make stopped flutes like this in my router table.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors