Plumber recommendation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I think that you might have to use older pennies, I don't think that there is much copper in pennies anymore. I don't know what year they changed over, but I'm sure one of the members will know better.

Jimmy:)

What will the copper do to the culture in the septic tank?

Ray

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think that you might have to use older pennies, I don't think that there is much copper in pennies anymore. I don't know what year they changed over, but I'm sure one of the members will know better.

Think you're right, Jimmy. They are mostly zinc now. And with what little copper is left in them, the coin still costs more than a penny (is that what we call irony).

Ray

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
What will copper pennies do that copper water pipes don't ? I think the idea is to get some copper sulfate into the leach field to kill tree roots. The gurgling is a function of poor/ missing venting. It could be that the fixture was set so that the trapped gases find it easier to go through the trap on fixture rather than out the vent stack. Could be something as simple as a "flat dry vent" that is stopped up. First, I would take a water hose up on roof, and flush out the vent stack.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Bruce,
I agree with you about the copper pipes, but most people down here seem to have pex comiing in and PVC going out. So far I haven't seen any copper.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well I did a bit of investigative crawling around and I believe I have found at least two issues that could be contributing to my problems.
First I poured a 5 gal. bucket of water down the vent pipe to check if it was clogged. It looked like most of the water flowed trough it freely. But I saw the reflection of water in the bottom of the pipe, and it is at the highest end of my DW line. Then I went under the house and opened the upper most clean-out and had a small bit (gallon or less) of clean water come rushing out. So first problem is that I think I have a partial blockage in the DW line. I am going to try and snake it out.
Second, while waiting for the snake that I am borrowing from Mike Guy to arrive, I decided to check the slope on the pipe. I found ~ 1/4" per foot drop in the pipe until just right after the drain intersection beneath the room with most of the gurgling issues (also the farthest from the vent). At that point the pipe actually goes up-hill for a couple of feet before dropping again to go out into the septic tank line. It doesn't look like it would be very easy to raise the DW line to get more fall out of it. Most of the piping is glued up fitting to fitting so I can just shorten a section and get a little more elevation from the line. It also doesn't look like I can get the end of the run to drop down to correct the up-hill sloped section.
I am not a happy camper right now :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This situation is going to take some more thought -

Toilet_fun_and_Ava_001.jpg

The lines have been snaked and are not clogged. I am still have troubles with the toilet flushing. I removed it and snaked it's drain line, and it is now free and clear. Still having problems with it flushing :eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Drain water can't run uphill -- I know, that's so obvious -- so it seems to me that you need to replace that section where it does run uphill. If you have a laser-equipped level, can you check slope for the entry vs. exit of that area to see if you could replace that section with new sloped pipe? Is there any way to raise the sloped sections farther upstream by pulling up the hangers to raise the starting height of the bad section to give you more potential slope in that add-on area? You may need to cut some riser connections and add slip couplings, but you've got to get slope into those lines to eliminate the problem.

It is amazing that you haven't had more problems before now. I also suspect you've got a full tanks as well that needs pumping. If waste is now backing up where it didn't before, then solid-laden effluent was getting through that up-sloped section when there was enough head to force it through on the next flush. It can't do that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS