Please help with new drawer slides

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I am trying to install new slides in existing kitchen cabinets, face frame. The drawers are 19" (back of face to back of drawer). The cabinet is 23" from the front of the face to the existing blocks that are holding the existing slides.

I purchased 19" slides so I am about 4" short on the slides. When I removed the old slides, there were 19" slides on the drawer and 12" slides on the cabinet.

As these old slides are the cheap nylon roller type and I bought 100# ball bearing ones, I do not know the best way to make this work.

I would appreciate some advice and guidance from some of you cabinet makers.

Thanks

nelsone

New User
Ed
If you can't get the correct length slides, I would see about gluing a block to the side of the case where the back end of the slide will be. That will give you a mounting surface. I would be concerned about the drawers not being able to fully open though.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I'll bet those BB slides extend as far, or perhaps even a little farther than, the originals. as to describing proper mounting??? not something I can do here:eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might be able to use Face Frame Mounting Blocks to take up the extra space between the end of the slide and the back of the cabinet. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3264
I am not sure how much reach they would give you.
I have mounted slides on FF cabinets using spacer blocks glued to the sides of the cab carcass that match the reveal of the FF. Measure the distance between the inside of the carcass and the inside edge of the FF, you want the spacers to be flush with the inside edge of the FF. If you have 19" drawers and 19" slides you should have no problem getting the full extension of the drawer.
Clear as mud, I'm sure :roll:

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
One suggestion is to get some 1x2 and pocket hole it to the face frame and either pocket hole or put a block on the back end of it to attach it. That way you have enough area to attach the slides at the front and don't have to buy longer slides.

Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpg

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I just bought longer slides from Woodworkers Hardware. They are only about $0.50 more and they did not charge me for shipping. and they will take the old slides back.

Good source.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors