Painting Laminate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I found an old post about painting over laminate after a 120 sandup using Zinsser BIN and wanted to know if anyone had a better alternative. It's some cabinets I'll be getting from medical office demo for my shop and right now they're a butt ugly color. I don't expect to be putting my shop in the Homearama but I would like to get a good durable surface - and it must withstand the scrutiny of a post here. I've used the XIM Zinsser before on a customer project where we couldn't match a ceramic tile color with good results. Any different ideas, or am I on the right track?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dennis,

I've never tried painting a laminate surface but I have spray painted plastics (lawn furniture, pvc pipe, etc). Krylon Fusion works well for that application.

Ray

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It should be about the same principal. As always, I'll need to remember the 3 p's. Prepare, protect, paint. I'll pick up a can & try a sample. I was hoping for a finish I could apply with a spray gun, but cans will be ok too.
Thanks.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dennis,

If you do go with spray cans (try not to look like a graffiti vandal when you buy the paint), I would suggest handles. It makes painting with a can MUCH easier.

I googled "spray can handle" and got loads of hits... like the ones below.

Ray

Attachments

• pACE-962079reg.jpg
    pACE-962079reg.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 8104952.jpg
    8104952.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 174

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I pushed a spray gun for 35 years, but sometimes the size of the job, etc just makes spray cans more convenient and economical. Some thoughts:

1. The spray handles Ray showed definitely make it easier.
2. If you can live with the color choice, the spray can paint labelled for "appliances" usually has good hiding and flow characteristics, and lasts (I used this on boat accessories in FL on the Gulf coast and it held up quite well).
3. I always pop the plastic cap off the can I am going to buy. First, you know a spray tip is there. Second, you can tell if someone has sprayed some out of the can and let the paint dry/clog the tip (I have found this in cans in both Walmart and K-Mart)
4. Some spray tips have a little slot that crosses the hole in the tip. These will give you a fan pattern which is much better for even coverage on a flat surface. You can make this modification yourself with a steady hand and a sharp exacto knife. (The slot should be vertical if you want a vertical fan. If you want to spray top to bottom, make the slit horizontal).
5. Always invert the can when you are done and spray until no paint comes out to clear the tip.

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Got one. Never had occasion to use it much but it seems this might be the time. The thumbs ain't what they were. Thanks for the suggestion!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those are all good tips, Mark & I use them all the time. Another I might add is to always save the tips before tossing the can. I always have one bad clog from time to time that can't be cleared by popping off the tip & re installing it. I also invert my cans occasionally and store them that way for a while. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS