outdoor finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyB

New User
Tracy
I built an outdoor table out of pressure treated pine. I was wondering what kind of finish to put on it to keep it looking good and prevent graying. I saw some General Finishes Outdoor oil at Klingspor. Does anyone know if theis is any good or should I use something else. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

TracyB

bluthart

New User
Brian
I have had good luck with McClosky's Spar Varnish for outdoor furniture. Lincolnton Paint and Glass has it in Lincolnton right off of Hwy 27 and Hwy 321. It will grey eventually but lasts pretty well and is easy to sand and reapply when necessary.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Tracy,

A few coats of marine spar varnish would work well. That is what they use to finish wood on boats. You can buy it at West Marine/etc. HTH :icon_thum

Trent

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If it is fresh (wet PT Pine) I would recommend Cabot SPF as it is water based and won't be affected by the excessive moisture in the wood. If it has dried, or been dried then I am a real big fan of Penofin products.
Any surface film coating like Spar Varnish will hold up for several year, but will require a bunch of surface prep to renew/repair the finish once it fails. An "in the wood" oil finish will not last as long, but will only require a light scuff sanding and re-application to renew/repair.
I have never tired it but have read a lot about clear paint. That is the oil paint base before color is added to it. In tests it has proven to be the longest lasting exterior finish available (if you can find it) But it will still only give you about 5 years before it will need repair.
Hopefully Howard Acheson will chime in soon, all that I learned about finishing I've learned from him.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS