Open Staff Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
It is now time to announce how the rest of the staff will be defined. All of the following positions have at least one opening.

General Expectations for staff positions
Each staff member will be expected to visit the site at least 3 to 4 times a week and perform the duties of their roles as their highest priority. Does this mean that people can not go on vacation, get sick, travel for work, just take a break, etc? Of course not, but when an absence is planned, just let us know in advance if you can, so someone can cover for you.

All staff positions will have at least 2 people assigned. This will provide a level of backup and general overlap of work.

Download Library Admin
Responsible for all aspects of the library, moderating and approval or disapproval of all uploads. Organization and modifications updating to new software when appropriate. Also becomes champion of the service. Gets more people to upload. Takes initiative to get people who post files as attachments, to upload them to the library. First task will be to review current organization and get it clean it up. Much like the Forum Moderators are currently doing with the forums.

This will be a learn by doing type of position. The software is called "ecdownloads II" and is found on www.vbulletin.org

Link Library Admin
Responsible for all aspects of the library, moderating and approval or disapproval of all new links. Organization and modifications updating to new software when appropriate.

Becomes champion of the Link Library, encouraging members to add links of interest the link library. Watches for links in posts and encourages people to add them to library if content is approriate.First task will be to review current organization and get it cleaned it up. Much like the Forum Moderators are currently doing with the forums. Will be responsible for the maintenane of the software.

This will be a learn by doing type of position. The software is called "vBadvanced Links Directory" and is found on http://www.vbadvanced.com/

Photo Gallery Admin

Responsible for the Photo Gallery Software and its maintenance and in particular the Admin panel for it. Also, its organization,etc. PhotoPost has separate admin software that is not integrated with VBulletin's Admincp, so these positions will not come into full work load until we make the switch. Also responsible for its templates which define the look and feel of the Gallery. PP's template system, unfortunately, is different that VBulletin's

This will be a learn by doing type of position. The software is called "PhotoPost Pro" and is found on http://www.photopost.com/

Administrators

Has full access to Admincp and knows how to do EVERYTHING related to vBulletin and the front end (currently vBadvanced CMPS www.vbadvanced.com ). Knows the template systems and can make changes to individual templates. Know usergroups, permissions,forum admin, and plugin system among others. Can fill in for any other role.

This will be a learn by doing type of position. Other than Webmaster this postion requires the most "learning" Unless you happen to have been or are a vbulletin admin, there will be a lot to learn

Most people have been "afraid" this type of position. Afraid, that they will screw up something. Well, the answer to that particular issue is, yes you will, so what? I screw up things all the time. That's how I learn. And That's the way whoever takes on the roles of administrator will learn.:eusa_danc

It's the same as somebody's signature. If your not making mistakes, your not trying.

If you have questions on any of the positions, please post them in this thread. If you wish to apply for one of the positions please send a PM to both myself AND Monty.

Monty

New User
Monty
The list of positions that Steve posted above may seem like a lot, but the work load (and learning curve) is really diminished by the fact that each position has well-defined duties, and there is some overlap and redundancy built-in so you do NOT have to feel like you need to be online all the time. The positions of Link library/Photo Gallery/Download library administrator would be a great place to help out, and learn something new in the process!

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Mike Davis said:
Are there any online manuals for the specialty admin products? I looked at the links and it seems to be user groups. I don't have time to join another group and wait for answers. I would buy a printed manual if I need to.

I would take on one or two of the libraries, but I want to know more about them first. Pictures seems like the biggest job. Not sure if I have time for that, but could do the other two.

When I said willing to work where ever you need, I meant the collective "You" as in the group as a whole. I don't want to "Take a job" (as in take away from someone else) but am willing to serve the group in any way needed.
First, are implying that you don't want the General purpose Admin jobs?

Now, welcome to the world of non-professional web software. None of these products have a manual.

The Link Library is the most stable and will not change much if at all. ecdownloads is now on its second group of devloper's and may be changing daily for a while. These developers want to take it to a new level.

Photo Gallery is not as difficult as it may seem. I will be installing it when it is time. The day to day is very little. The only problem will be that it will ahve its own admin panel and its own template system. The nice part is that you won't have to learn vbulletin' admin panel and template system.:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS