Old Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Back in 1999 my daughter was accepted at a college in Bristol VA for an equestrian science major. One of the student requirements was a tack box to store saddle, bridles, etc at the lesson barn. A trip to the local saddle shop revealed that decent wooden tack boxes were in excess of $500 (1999 dollars!!) :swoon:Sooooooooooooo, Daddy proceeded to make one from plywood and white pine with luan accents and inlaid luan top. :wsmile: The box recently came out of my storage unit and is on my project list to be refinished. This was constructed using minimal fasteners and primarily joined using West marine epoxy with a final finish of poly coats.

HPIM0503.JPG

Atop the box is the carry tote which stores inside and is carried to the horse with hoof pick, brushes etc. Attached to the side is the removable saddle tree for doing work on a saddle.

The shelf in the middle of the box slides from side to side to enable access to contents in the bottom. The underside of the lid has wooden hemispheres and stretch cords to hold bridles and other leather goods.

The hardware including the corner pieces, piano hinge, handles etc is all either brass or brass plated. School started on Sept. 1, so as you can see from the plaque I had made, I cut things a "leetle" close :gar-La;

T

toolferone

Still looking good after some use. It will shine up nice. I am sure she loved having Daddy make one for her. It is fun looking back on earlier projects and see how your WW has changed since then.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Be sure to post the after refinishing pics and let us amateurs know how you refinished it. You talent shows in the pics!!!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Glenn,
Clearly a lot of planning and love went into this unique project :icon_thum
Can't wait to see what else you pull out of that storage unit :mrgreen:

Roger

b4man

New User
Barbara
Great tack box Glenn. Viewing your pix took me on an unexpected trip down memory lane when I raised and worked Morgan horses.

It's obvious it got much usage and how proud your daughter was is only something I can imagine.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Glenn, that's really a nice job. :eusa_clap

If it were mine, I wouldn't touch it with anything other than a little furniture polish/cleaner. Your daughter must have loved it.

:wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very very nice. I agree with Reggie that refinishing may take away some of the charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS