Norm's Workshop Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Have any of you folks built Norm's Workshop Hutch? It's item 0106 on his web store. It looks like it's about the right size and layout for what I want.
Below is the sketch from the web page.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanx,
Ray

Attachments

• 0106s.gif
    0106s.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 616

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
I have never built that hutch, but unless you have specific use for the upper portion or the hutch i would change the top.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Mike,

I agree with changing the top. I'd probably store fasteners, sandpaper, glue, etc, in the upper portion. I think all those dividers would be / should be idiosyncratic to the specific shop or woodworker.

Ray

novice99

New User
Mike
Ray-
When I bought my new house a year ago, the previous owner left his copy of Norm's Hutch behind- "too big to move"- so I have been using it this past year. I must say that the drawers and counter top are great. I have found the top shelves with all of the little dividers to be more of a pain. Most of them are empty, or have assorted small bottles of glue/rolls of tape. I keep saying that I am going to take off the face boards and pull out all those silly little dividers- haven't gotten to that yet! As such, if I were you, I would skip all of those little dadoes and just make them regular shelves.

Overall it is a rock solid piece of shop furniture- I have mounted my metal working vice and stainless plate on one side. It has taken the pounding without blinking. So I would recommend it to you, minus the dividers up top.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Here is my take on Norms hutch- I wanted the tools out where I could see them, not in drawers. I will be adding small drawers to the tool bins that will hold tool specific tools and supplies. I use the counter for tool prep as a general catch-all.

Backbench-57.JPG

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Holy smokes, Alan... I remember seeing the WIP photos... the finished cabinets look like museum grade artwork. Maybe you'd like to hang out at my place for a few weeks? I'll go back and look for your WIP thread. I'll bet there's some great advice in there.

I like the open upper shelves you have (as opposed to the huge number of tiny cubbies). I'll want more than 6 shelves for screws, nails, glue, etc and some larger for some tools. Obviously, I am still thinking this through.

All advice welcome.

Thanks,
Ray

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Ray, I have a copy of the NYW program where he builds the hutch. On same tape is NYW miter saw station, along with assembly table /clamp cart program. There is also a copy in TWA library. From program, you can get most of the dimensions for hutch, but not MS station..

J

jeff...

Here is my take on Norms hutch- I wanted the tools out where I could see them, not in drawers. I will be adding small drawers to the tool bins that will hold tool specific tools and supplies. I use the counter for tool prep as a general catch-all.

Backbench-57.JPG

I was waiting for Alan to pop in here with his bench, which is more like a kitchen than a bench - I've often wondered where the sink is located at? Alan quit playing with planers and get busy on the [strike]green[/strike] rocket, you already got the warhead monted all you need is the fins, propeller and guidance system. Time is running short, the 4th of july is right around the corner, you know ;-)

meika123

New User
Dave Snider
Have any of you folks built Norm's Workshop Hutch? It's item 0106 on his web store. It looks like it's about the right size and layout for what I want.
Below is the sketch from the web page.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanx,
Ray

Yes-I built that bench, and don't know what I ever did without it. But after viewing Alan's, don't expect me to post any pic's.
Beautiful work Alan.

Dave in NC

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Alan, how did you do your miter saw area? Are the cabinets standard depth as kitchen cabinets? From front to back, how deep is your top on the base units?

In retrospect, I wish I had mounted my CMS flush to the top instead of on the top and making the fence thingys. Can you/would you take some close up pics of that area so I can get some ideas? TIA.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan, how did you do your miter saw area?

The mitersaw area is a work in progress, but essentially the SCMS is mounted on a sliding shelf which is below the top of the counter. It slides so I can slide it in to stow it and slide it out, lock it, and use it. I am still working on the dust collection and some sort of fence- not an alignment fence the saw's fence is fine for that, but a measurement fence)

Are the cabinets standard depth as kitchen cabinets? From front to back, how deep is your top on the base units?
I think I built the cabinets standard kitchen size 24" lowers and 12" uppers

In retrospect, I wish I had mounted my CMS flush to the top instead of on the top and making the fence thingys. Can you/would you take some close up pics of that area so I can get some ideas? TIA.
I'll take some pics and add them to this thread.

waltv

New User
Walt
I bought the plans for both and built Norm's miter bench and was going to build the hutch, but was turned off by all the dividers, etc. I like to keep tools, etc. behind doors or in drawers. Instead of the building the hutch, I modified an old kitchen sink cabinet with a new top of the same construction style as the miter bench (and hutch) and raised the whole unit up about 3 1/2". The fence for my miter bench is different than Norm's. Less complicated, I think. The dust collection for the MS is pretty much per the plans, except I use a portable DC and just hook it to the duct under the MS when I am cutting a lot at that station.

The NYW miter bench and hutch base are of similar design. Simple and easy to build. They are solid shop fixtures. I have a radial arm saw at the right end of the miter bench so it helps with support for that machine.

It's sure not as nice as Alan's great bench set up, but works well for me.

miter_bench.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The window well space worked out well for you in placement of your saw (no pun intended). One of the pits of my set up is the handle for adjusting the base of the saw sticks out way too far.

Nice layout!

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I bought the plans for both and built Norm's miter bench and was going to build the hutch, but was turned off by all the dividers, etc. I like to keep tools, etc. behind doors or in drawers. Instead of the building the hutch, I modified an old kitchen sink cabinet with a new top of the same construction style as the miter bench (and hutch) and raised the whole unit up about 3 1/2". The fence for my miter bench is different than Norm's. Less complicated, I think. The dust collection for the MS is pretty much per the plans, except I use a portable DC and just hook it to the duct under the MS when I am cutting a lot at that station.

The NYW miter bench and hutch base are of similar design. Simple and easy to build. They are solid shop fixtures. I have a radial arm saw at the right end of the miter bench so it helps with support for that machine.

It's sure not as nice as Alan's great bench set up, but works well for me.

miter_bench.jpg

That looks great to me!!! My old shop was so small I removed a widow so I could install a window box for my SCMS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS