No slip finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nearing completion of a small sturdy step box for my MIL to use when getting into bed. She recently had spinal surgery and uses a walker to get around. The top is birch ply. I plan on putting a couple of no slip strips (like some folks use in bathtub) on top.

What finish should I use for the platform to reduce potential slipping but not be too rough for bare feet?
In my experience, Danish oil/tung oil may get slippery. Polyurethane seems like a good choice, but perhaps someone has a better suggestion.

Roger

chris99z71

New User
Chris
At the furniture store where I worked in highschool, we painted the back step bumper of our delivery truck and then sprinkled sand on it. That was pretty darn rough though. For more of an inside-appropriate finish, maybe you could experiment on a small test scale with adding a little bit of sand to some polyurethane or poly acrylic? You'd have to keep stirring it to keep it uniform, so something with a little higher viscosity might work better - like paint. Just an idea...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I believe there is a non-slip additive for paint available at the BORG. It's a granular product that is mixed into the paint. It might work with a clear finish also. Or you could just come and finish it at my shop, there's enough dust floating around that you will be guaranteed a rough finish.

Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
So I called my wife...who happens to be working in the paint dept at Home Depot today...
512129.jpg

$3.22 per 1/2 pt.
From the Rustoleum website:

Fine pumice for mixing with oil or latex-based paints
Provides a skid-resistant coating for wood, metal, fiberglass and concrete surfaces
Ideal for floors, decks, stairs, ramps, washrooms, ladders, patios, boat jetties and walkways
Will not change the color, performance or properties of the paint

hannah01

New User
Joe
I used a non-slip additive in polyurethane on my shop floor. Not slippery at all, durable and I don't think it would be too rough for bare feet. Don't remember the brand, but it was purchased at Lowes.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks ladies and gentlemen!

Verrrry interesting suggestion. I'll do a test piece and if it works, I could forgo the stick on strips. Safety First :eusa_naug But the strips will make it look like it belongs in the laundry room, not the bedroom :lol:

Appreciatively,
Roger

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Roger,

I had excellent results with a product from Sherwin Williams ("Sharks Grip"). It is dry ,powder-like substance, must be some sort of polymer. It is easy to use, suspends well (ie does NOT settle to the bottom of the paint can) and leaves just enough 'grit' to get a sure footing, but leaves a smooth enough surface for easy cleaning. I have used in in my workshop as an additive in the epoxy paint. And I have used it with clear WB polyurethane for an application similar to yours. It is barely noticable in clear finishes.
Just one word of caution: A little of this stuff goes a long way! When I first used it on the workshop floor, I went a bit overboard. I f you put to much in the paint, you'll end up with sand paper.

Bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS