Next tool decision - dust collector

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
With the table saw on its way it's time to think about a new dust collector. I previously had the Shop Fox equivalent of the G0441, a 3HP unit. It was built like a tank. Large drum, heavy-duty construction, and both excellent airflow and separation. I think in 10 years I emptied the cannister under the filter two or three times.

I think I fit in a G0441 in my garage, but it would be difficult, and I'd rather go with something a little more manageable. I'm fortunate that I have very high ceilings available, but my next shop may not be so generously equipped. Two main choices are the Oneida V-3000 and the Grizzly G0862. Both are 3HP machines with good published specifications, although I'm sure actual performance doesn't always match the paperwork.

The G0862 is very portable and $1000 cheaper than the V-3000. My main concern is the separation efficiency. While data is limited, the biggest drawback of these short cone cyclone dust collectors is that a lot of the fine dust makes it into the filter. This isn't just Grizzly, it also applies to Laguna, JET, etc.

Does anyone have experience with one of these short-cone models? I don't do a ton of woodworking, I'm happy when I can fill the main collection barrel once a month, so cleaning out the filter/ filter bag isn't too big of a concern. Plus, compared to the G0441 the V-3000 cone seems a little short - any real-life experience with the separation on this unit?

I will typically only use one tool at a time, and plan to run 6" pipe for most of the way, minimizing the use of flex.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I can't sing my praises of Oneida enough. Yea, they're more expensive, but so is Festool. IMO going with Oneida is the best extra $ you'll ever spend. They will work with you from bare walls, and using your floor plan design your entire system, matching vacuum with pipe sizes and types, noise control, remote switches, selecting fittings to maximize airflow, matching CFM to individual machines, picking dust gates...everything. Don't get hung up on a particular model of dust collector; let the Oneida experts pick it after your whole shop layout and ducting is designed.

If you have any sensitivities to dust, add in a ceiling mount whole shop air filter. I've heard good things about Jet. Overall, dust collection is a bad place to cut corners or scrimp on your investment. Done right, you'll smile every time you turn it on.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Not sure of your time vs cost decision matrix, but I built my own last year w/ an Oneida cyclone, Wynn filters, and a surplus Cincinnati fan 14” impeller w/ a Baldor 3HP motor. I have less than $1500 in this and it will literally suck up small animals, ha.

There is a similar (same) Cincinnati fan assembly w/ a 3HP Baldor on Marketplace right now, albeit it a bit more used than mine…..just saying! The beauty of the Cinci Fan assemblies is that they are domestically made, w/ published fan curves, and an engineering department to walk you through any performance/ ducting Q’s.

Admittedly, a lot of the driver behind making my own was A) Covid - I was home, and had the extra time B) Covid related material/ supply chain issues - at the time, the equivalent Oneida system was quoted to me just north of $4K w/ the steel price increases/ premiums. C) a purchased system didn’t fit great where I wanted to put it, I custom built to my available space more or less.

All in all, a very simple build - happy to show you/ walk you through if you’re interested in pursuing.

Welcome back!

IMG_9028.jpeg

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Also to add - if you’re interested, I “may” be pretty close what I would consider the “perfect” hobby/ garage shop - in 1 bay of a 3 car garage, (assembly space utilizes the other bays of course, but it all ticks away nicely when not in use). I have some fine tuning to do of course, and will get around to pics one day, but give me a shout If you want a tour!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You seem pretty convinced you need a 3hp unit but I am happy with my "2hp" HF motor blower perched on top of an Oneida Super Dust Deputy with a 70 gallon box for dust below it and discharging outside. It only occupies a square about 18 inches by 18 inches in the back corner of my shop. It sucks through 5 inch snap lock to most tools with a few including my lunchbox planner hooked up with a long flex hose. I'm sure it doesn't get all the fine dust but it does well with the chips even through the 4 inch flex hose. I've emptied the 70 gallon box at least 4 times so far. I've also let it go too long and coated my bushes with wood chips too.

Reactions: Bas

Boomvader

Rich
Senior User
Harvey G-700 is my pick for my garage shop. Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new one because I cannot source a used one within a few hundred miles of Asheville.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Not sure of your time vs cost decision matrix, but I built my own last year w/ an Oneida cyclone, Wynn filters, and a surplus Cincinnati fan 14” impeller w/ a Baldor 3HP motor. I have less than $1500 in this and it will literally suck up small animals, ha.

There is a similar (same) Cincinnati fan assembly w/ a 3HP Baldor on Marketplace right now, albeit it a bit more used than mine…..just saying! The beauty of the Cinci Fan assemblies is that they are domestically made, w/ published fan curves, and an engineering department to walk you through any performance/ ducting Q’s.

Admittedly, a lot of the driver behind making my own was A) Covid - I was home, and had the extra time B) Covid related material/ supply chain issues - at the time, the equivalent Oneida system was quoted to me just north of $4K w/ the steel price increases/ premiums. C) a purchased system didn’t fit great where I wanted to put it, I custom built to my available space more or less.

All in all, a very simple build - happy to show you/ walk you through if you’re interested in pursuing.

Welcome back!

View attachment 221053

Very nice setup. If I had a working shop right and something I could use to get most of the sawdust/ chips in the interim I might go for a custom build like this, especially to fit the space available. With almost every unit the filter is in the wrong spot or the inlet is 90 degrees off from where you want it. Time is definitely a precious commodity these days so probably going the buy route.

I do have an annoying cat that would probably enjoy a trip through the DC piping, provided it stops at the right moment...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You seem pretty convinced you need a 3hp unit but I am happy with my "2hp" HF motor blower perched on top of an Oneida Super Dust Deputy with a 70 gallon box for dust below it and discharging outside. It only occupies a square about 18 inches by 18 inches in the back corner of my shop. It sucks through 5 inch snap lock to most tools with a few including my lunchbox planner hooked up with a long flex hose. I'm sure it doesn't get all the fine dust but it does well with the chips even through the 4 inch flex hose. I've emptied the 70 gallon box at least 4 times so far. I've also let it go too long and coated my bushes with wood chips too.

I've had the HF unit before, venting outside is unfortunately not an option and with a good filter (vs the stock cotton bag) I can get the fine dust, but then it doesn't have quite enough power for duct work anymore. It's all a trade-off. I am impressed with your auto-mulching machine :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS