New subpanel - Ok to have Phone and Coax wedged behind it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snojcb

New User
J.C.
I'm installing a new subpanel in my garage (right next to my main panel) to add new circuits for tablesaw, bandsaw, DC, planer, jointer, etc.... After cutting the sheetrock, I see that there are 3 coax lines and 3 cat5e lines running up in that stud cavity. 8-O I "shaved" the stud a little to allow a recess for those lines to hide in and allow the new subpanel to fit in the cavity. The coax and cat5e lines are not pinched, but it is a snug fit. My question is whether this is legit?

A photo for clarity:

IMG_3479.jpg

Any idea if this will likely fail inspection?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with Mike. I would think it would pass though. The cat5 and cable are low voltage wiring and are not normally part of inspections.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Why not jump over to the next stud cavity? Remember to put in a box with TWICE as many braker spaces as you think you will need. Then you will only be short a few down the road. To run branch circuits, I would use 3/4 EMT. (1/2 EMT doesn't allow enough room for later circuits.) This way you don't have to pull a separate ground, plus you have a "hole" for future rewiring (when you get that 12 jointer that you have been lusting over). You may want to run multiwire branch circuits to machines. By doing this, a double breaker (two spaces) can feed two 110's or one 220. You have to pull a neutral though (for 110 circuits) Try to have lights on TWO circuits if possible, as whole shop won't go dark in case breaker trips. Remember in a one man shop, seldom are you going to be running more than one machine at the time, DC excepted.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Maybe this is some help to you. I spent a lot of time on this site before we built our house. The following came from this site.
Low Voltage Home Pre-Wire Guide

Tom
Routing Around Electrical:

The main thing to watch in routing low-voltage signal cable is avoiding high-voltage AC wiring. It is OK to cross low voltage signal and speaker wires at 90 degrees to electrical wiring (cross perpendicularly), but avoid running parallel and close to electrical wiring. This will cause noise in speakers (at low volumes) and could cause data errors in data lines. Everyone told us to do the low-voltage wiring after the electrician has finished his pre-wire! I heard several "horror stories" about running speaker wires then later finding the electrician liked the holes that had already been drilled, and used the speaker wire holes for his electrical wire. One installer even drilled holes through many joists to get a path, went back to where he started the holes, and found the electrician filling his new holes with electrical runs. If you do any wiring on outside walls, make sure you do it before insulation!
Unfortunately, there is often very little time between the completion of the electrical pre-wiring and the start of insulation and drywall. We were unable to start our wiring after the electrician due to scheduling; in fact, we started before the electricians. Fortunately, the electricians were very understanding about our wiring (a rare attitude, according to my contacts), and were very conscientious about crossing at right angles and not running parallel to our wires. Even so, we had to re-run some cable paths when the electricians ran too close, especially on long runs. The rule of thumb in this case is, if there is an easy path and a hard path, take the hard path because the electrician will take the easy path.
I have heard several differing views on the minimum separation between parallel runs of AC and low-voltage cabling -- anywhere between 6 inches and 4 feet, depending on who you talk to. In the CEBus Installer's Guide under twisted pair installation, they say keeping 6 inches between the TPBus and AC wiring is good. However, I've heard that AC wires produce a field 18" out from the wire. Others say to keep 3 to 4 feet away. Therefore, I tried to keep at least the 3-4 feet where I could, but dropped down to 16" for shorter runs. You will frequently want to run wires to a box near a switch or floor outlet, so running along the opposite stud (16" centers) in a bay to get to the outlet is common. And, the "no parallel runs" rule can be violated for short distance if absolutely necessary, such as to get over a door frame or tight locations that leave no alternatives. SoundTrack says that Monster audio cable can run up to 10 feet parallel to AC (1 foot from the coax), coax can run 25 feet (or much more for Monster coax), and other low voltage wire can run about 2 feet without much chance of problems. You should never run the cable in the same holes as AC for parallel runs -- keep at least some separation, and keep parallel runs very short. Low voltage wiring should also never go into the same wall box as AC.

J

jeff...

Personally I have to agree with everyone about the possibility of electromagnetic interference. If it's in your control, why not move either the cables or the subpanel and get them away from each other?

Just my 2 cents worth

snojcb

New User
J.C.
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to find a place to move the panel, but I don't see one as convenient. I'm considering cutting the coax and cat5e, and moving them one stud-bay over. Still not desirable as I would be adding splices to the wires and it's not really moving them that far. :eusa_thin

Thanks for mentioing the EM interfernce, though. I hadn't even considered that.

Still thinking...

J. C.

M

McRabbet

One alternative to cutting the coax and Cat5e is to cut 1"+ deep notches in the stud and use available slack to re-route the low-voltage wires away from the panel into the next section of wall. Patch the notches and add a metal plate (available at the big box stores) over each notch where the wires go through the stud so they won't get damaged when you fix the drywall. If you don't have slack, you may need to add a splice anyhow.

Rob

snojcb

New User
J.C.
I've moved the subpanel one bay over. I didn't really want it there, but it was easier to install it there than to cut and splice all those other wires. In the absence of a perfect solution, a compromise is due.

Thanks again for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors