New shop acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
dang,, I saw your lift like that so I went out and made one for myself just like it,( I want to be on the Up-and-Up). I just dont know how to hold the wood flush to the table upside down,,lol just kidding. Have you killed some wood with it yet? I am building a new bench,,:eusa_thin I bet that would rip some hard maple real well,,,,:eusa_thin Can I borrow it? I will bring it back,,,(hehehehehehe)
Be blessed friend.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
OK, only reason I asked was that looked like a pretty small power cord coming out of it. Although it is big and bulky, I have no doubt you are definitively going to love it.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Nice saw! I have always wondered about the left tilts. I guess you could always move a right tilt fence to the other side, but I do think the left tilts are safer when making miter rips.

Monty

New User
Monty
Travis Porter said:
that looked like a pretty small power cord coming out of it.
Dang, you've got good eyes!!! Yep, the stock JET cord is 14/3, and it's only about 5' long. The extension cord I made for it is 12/3. I started to take the 12/3 all the way back to the switch and eliminate the 14 AWG, but I don't really think I need to. Of course, I would need to if this were a 110V motor! ;-)

Dutchman said:
I have always wondered about the left tilts.
Well, now you've done it! You've brought up the eternal LEFT TILT VERSUS RIGHT TILT DEBATE!!! :lol: Quick! Here's a link to settle the issue once and for all!!! :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Insom that is a great link. I had never thought about the problems with slidng tables on a left tilt. Of course, I have a right tilt and won't be getting a new saw anytime soon. But that is some good info to consider if I was trying to chose between tilts.
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I get a bit overkill no wire size. I have run 10/3 to all of my 220 tools. I agree with your logic on not running it all the way back. I have some of mine with very long cords and others with "extension" cords and I tend to favor the extensions. That way you can shorten it without cutting the wire.

I am staying out of the right/left debate. I have a left, but no more angled cuts than I have to make I don't see it as that big of an issue.

BTW, I was perusing your gallery the other day. Where you at with your bench? What style you making? I want to make a new and bigger one myself before too long.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Travis,
Not to copy anyone that has the shop issue's of fine woodworking, Im building a bench out that issue, i bealive it is the 2003 issue. I have seen a couple people building one here too. I have to take the plunge and get it done, I have the vice's and matersials, Just need some more maple for the legs and ill be ready. Be blessed friend

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Cool. Would love to know which one and what you do and don't like and what you wish you would have done differently. I have built two benches both out of I believe Woodsmith issue 40. The first one (which I built ten years ago) I made backwards:-? . Sort of a lefty. The next one, I built with a quick release vise (very nice), but I did a pretty poor job on it IMO. I made it taller (wish I hadn't), and it just isn't a big enough area for me.

Monty

New User
Monty
Travis Porter said:
Where you at with your bench? What style you making? I want to make a new and bigger one myself before too long.
It's from the 2003 Tools & Shops issue of FWW, the Lon Schleining bench. I just got word today on a significant development... will post details tomorrow... stay tuned! :mrgreen:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Michael,

I may have a local source for some maple. I met Ron, the shop manager at Custom Craft, Inc. in Fayetteville. Commercial and residential cabinetry is their game. I mentioned 8/4 maple for a bench, he made a quick call and came back with 4.10/bf for 100bf, kiln dried. I think S2S? shorter trip than Raleigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors