New jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
No, I didn't buy one, but I went and looked at a used 16" one in Raleigh today. It was an old style Bridgewood that had been "restored". Unfortunately, the restoration was spraying a coat of paint on it and covering the oil caps, screw adjustment mechanisms and so forth. It was a large beast, but it just wasn't meant to be. I think I would have been more interested if it hadn't been painted. Bernhard went with me and was concerned with the old style bearings and the wear on it. It ran pretty smooth, but the castings just didn't seem as firm as they should be. Oh well, it was worth an attempt. One day I will get a LARGE one.....

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Travis, if you need to use a 16 incher before you buy one, you're welcome to come out and use mine.

Scott

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
When time arises, I will have to take you up on that offer. Thanks.

Only one problem though, you will have to get the rust off for all of the drool.

What kind do you have?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The big green kind! G9953ZXF 5 HP 3-phase, spiral cutterhead Extreme Duty Grizzly.

Attachments

• woodshop side view2.jpg
    woodshop side view2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 139

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeez Scott, you're making Woodguy look like a part-timer. We may have to rename the affliction for buying bigger and better tools after you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
At first glance I thought it was the newer style of Bridgewood, but that didn't last long. Very impressive, especially with the spiral cutterhead!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Trav - it does a nice job. I purchased it to use on timberframe projects. Let me know if/when you need to use it.

Scott

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Scott, you do timberframing? I'd love to see examples of your work, I did some timberframing by hand at Old Salem 20 years ago. Nothing recently, although I'm always looking for an opportunity to design buildings that are timber framed. In terms of fire resistance, timberframed buildings are given about the same value by the building code as a steel structure with 1-hour protection (1 layer gypsum board)! The main arguments against today are cost and environmental sustainability, but if you're trying to build something that will last 100 years (or 1000), you can't beat wood.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Jeez Scott, you're making Woodguy look like a part-timer. We may have to rename the affliction for buying bigger and better tools after you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

I take offense to that. Just this morning I got a call on two new/old Oliver machines. A 30" disk sander and 36" bandsaw. Now how can I fit those in my shop.... I can move the 36" moak to the Meber position, Meber to the Mini Max position, Mini Max to... Hmmm I need a bigger shop!!!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Digiteck - re Timberframing - it's an interest. I've helped to erect some and have a quasi-timberframe run-in shed that I built a number of years ago.

Next year, I'm planning to build a timberframe barn for my wife, and at some point in the future I'd like to build a timberframe expansion onto the house.

Hey Woodguy - TWO NEW/OLD MACHINE opportunities in a single day???? You're my hero! :lol:

Scott

cpowell

New User
Chuck
You took Bernard with you and left empty-handed? Musta been in rough shape for the dynamic (shopping) duo to turn it down. :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Digiteck - re Timberframing - it's an interest. I've helped to erect some and have a quasi-timberframe run-in shed that I built a number of years ago.

Next year, I'm planning to build a timberframe barn for my wife, and at some point in the future I'd like to build a timberframe expansion onto the house.

Hey Woodguy - TWO NEW/OLD MACHINE opportunities in a single day???? You're my hero! :lol:

Scott

Looks like you two should team up. After all, WG wants a shop extension and you want to build a timberframe one!! However, with the "big iron" addiction multiplied by two, someone is going to have to invest in a Semi!!:rolf:

Go

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
He had a bunch of big iron, but the restorations were pretty much paint.

As for the jointer, it was big, but when I saw the knives hitting the fence when running and he didn't really care that it did it kind of worried me. As for Bernard, he has his sights set on bigger fish. Speaking of Bernard, I haven't heard from him in a while. Maybe he is moving in the house?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
He has been working on his staircase, but I suspect he is at the office perusing the site and the rest of the web for his next major acquisition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors