New Entry Door…solid wood core or engineered core?

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I am looking for the long term pros and cons related to durability and warp resistance of a wood entry door. In my case this door will be 3’ x 6’8” and will be facing north under a fully covered porch. aesthetically we have two options, a solid mahogany core door veneered with mahogany or an engineered core door veneered with mahogany. DSA makes the wood core and Southland makes the engineered core. Prices between the two are negligible so it all comes down to performance and durability.

Does anyone here have experience with either of these two door constructions or manufacturers? Which one is likely to stay flat in the long term? Any and all feedback is welcomed.

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I purchased a Reeb Nantucket door last year and I have been very pleased with it so far, but it's been less than one year so I can't really give a thorough review yet. It's their highest quality door that is made with two 7/8ths in solid sapele rails and stiles glued together. Where the rails and stiles meet, there is a floating tenon with I believe a 3/4 in sapele pin. The pin keeps the the railes and stiles locked together. To me, this construction makes sense although I know that there's a lot to be said for stave core doors as well. I finished the door with Total Boat Gleam spar varnish and it turned out really nice. I have a north facing house with no overhang so there's not much protection, but it does not get much sun with the trees we have. I'm sure someone else can speak to this kind of door construction. Simpson® Nantucket® Collection Doors – Reeb Learning Center

IMG_0973.jpeg

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I purchased a Reeb Nantucket door last year and I have been very pleased with it so far, but it's been less than one year so I can't really give a thorough review yet. It's their highest quality door that is made with two 7/8ths in solid sapele rails and stiles glued together. Where the rails and stiles meet, there is a floating tenon with I believe a 3/4 in sapele pin. The pin keeps the the railes and stiles locked together. To me, this construction makes sense although I know that there's a lot to be said for stave core doors as well. I finished the door with Total Boat Gleam spar varnish and it turned out really nice. I have a north facing house with no overhang so there's not much protection, but it does not get much sun with the trees we have. I'm sure someone else can speak to this kind of door construction. Simpson® Nantucket® Collection Doors – Reeb Learning Center

View attachment 221150
That is a beautiful door! Where did you buy it from or do they sell direct?

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
That is a beautiful door! Where did you buy it from or do they sell direct?
David, I was able to purchase the door through a local building supplier in Winston-Salem, Talbert Building Supply. You can check locally to you to see if any carries Reeb and they should have a catalog if they do.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
How much maintenance do you expect a wood door to be vs something like a fiberglass door?

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
Much of it depends on exposure. If your house faces north and has limited sun/rain exposure and you use a quality exterior varnish, then you should be able to scuff sand and recoat every few years. I'm hoping to get at least 3 years until I have to recoat, but I might do another coat next year just to be safe. But even with a fiberglass door or any door that has paint or stain on it, you will still have to provide maintenance. Facing west with little overhang would be a serious task for a real wood door I think.

jr14

New User
JR
Yes, door (or any exterior surface) life span is impacted by exposure to the elements, especially UV, and subsequent maintenance. The best 'finish' on the market is only as good as the care and maintenance it receives. You can read the fine print in many door suppliers catalogs and find language limiting their responsibilities regarding warranty based on exposure of said product. Most will require roof overhangs to shelter a door.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member

View attachment 221150
Did you use the gloss varnish and knock down the gloss or did you use the satin version?

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I followed the directions and did 4 coats of gloss and then 2 coats of stain sanding in between each coat. I might have done 3 coats of satin not sure. I think Jon Peters has a good youtube video showing how to apply it. I had the door horizontal on some sawbucks and used a foam roller. Leveled out very nicely.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS