Need help with my driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
Hey,
I need some help with my driveway down here in Lillington...thats about 30 minutes south of Raleigh.
I need someone that will not take me for a ride. I have about 200 feet of driveway that needs a drain on one side....because of the water that comes down the hill and is washing my driveway out to the street.
We have sand mixed with some gravel.......and eventually am going to build a garage up close to the house.

So anyone out there that can give some advice and/or can help...let me know.
David Sheuring :help:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
David, I moved your thread to the Home Improvement forum. It does sound like a custom project but I suspect that you are going to get more advice on how to remedy it yourself than giving someone else money to do it. It would be really helpful if you could include a picture of the situation so I can see the full scenario.

What I would do is create a drain swale along side the driveway to contain the run-off and prevent it from washing across the driveway. There are several things that you can do to prevent erosion in that swale. If it's in an area with turf, it can be re-sodded pinning the sod in place until it roots well. If it's not in an area appropriate for grass, you can line it with concrete or stone. Lining it with rip-rap is a cheap way to slow down the water and reduce the scouring. Lining it with river stone is a much more attractive way, and can create a dry creek bed feel.
For creating the swale, a days rental with a mini-excavator will make quick work of it, and be a blast to do.
I am a landscape contractor and do this stuff all the time, and I might be able to help you out with it, or at least give you some ideas of the costs if you could shot me a picture so I can understand the scope better. But I guarantee that you would come out keeping more tool money if you tackle it yourself.

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
David, I moved your thread to the Home Improvement forum. It does sound like a custom project but I suspect that you are going to get more advice on how to remedy it yourself than giving someone else money to do it. It would be really helpful if you could include a picture of the situation so I can see the full scenario.

What I would do is create a drain swale along side the driveway to contain the run-off and prevent it from washing across the driveway. There are several things that you can do to prevent erosion in that swale. If it's in an area with turf, it can be re-sodded pinning the sod in place until it roots well. If it's not in an area appropriate for grass, you can line it with concrete or stone. Lining it with rip-rap is a cheap way to slow down the water and reduce the scouring. Lining it with river stone is a much more attractive way, and can create a dry creek bed feel.
For creating the swale, a days rental with a mini-excavator will make quick work of it, and be a blast to do.
I am a landscape contractor and do this stuff all the time, and I might be able to help you out with it, or at least give you some ideas of the costs if you could shot me a picture so I can understand the scope better. But I guarantee that you would come out keeping more tool money if you tackle it yourself.

Dave:)

Maybe he's thinking like me, "doctor bill, surgeon's bill, hospital bill, rehab, and time lost from work! Might be cheaper to hire it done!!

:rotflm:

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Pictures would help. Maybe also where is the majority of the run off coming from ? If its comming from gutter run off or a neighbors yard? Really need more details.

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
Ok...will have pictures tomorrow....the run off comes from the hill that is in back of our property which starts almost right behind or pool and also...is coming from our neighbor who built his house next to us...but it rest on higher ground than ours.

And...oh boy if we get a alot of rain...our driveway turns in the next river in our neighbor hood....:eek:

So...pictures and maybe.......so help would be the solution.....does anyone trade for beer??????:gar-Bi
David

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
So...pictures and maybe.......so help would be the solution.....does anyone trade for beer??????:gar-Bi
David

Uh oh! NOW you've done it David! Beer??? DaveO and half of Raleigh will be there this weekend!
:gar-La;:rotflm:

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
OH darn....you have figured it out already.
Beer and burgers....I trying to "barter" for work....wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

So what kind of beer do yall like.....Guiness, New Castle, Sam Adams????
Anyone....anyone.....:eek:ccasion1
:rotflm:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
This could spark a thread all in itself. (Will trade BEER for work):rotflm: There will be many takers. Hey, I am planning a shop expansion soon:gar-La;. :rolf::eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS