Need help matching a finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Trying to match the finish of this rod holder. Owner of the rod holder doesn't know what color of stain it is.
Trying to get close, doesn't have to be exact.

It is going on the oak rifle rack that i posted in another thread.

Thanks

DSCN0708.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
John,
try mixing minwax golden oak with cherry 1:1 ratio. It looks like a color that I had to duplicate years ago.

Best of luck,
Jimmy:)

jmauldin

New User
Jim
You could also try a Burnt Umber glaze. You don't have to strip the pieces, just clean with ms. Brush on lightly, then feather with a clean brush until you get the shade you want.Then spray on your finish (you can't brush on a finish over glaze). One good thing about using this, if you don't like any of the results you can wipe it ALL off with ms or naptha and you haven't done any damage to anything.
Jim in Mayberry

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Got a can of Cabot gun stock stain and i think it is close match. The problem is with pictures it is hard to tell. The fishing rack is in another state so we can't match it easy.

Does it look close?

cabotgunstock.jpg

DSCN0708.jpg

M

McRabbet

Not bad, but you'll never know until they are side by side in the same light.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I would guess minwax golden oak stain. If it is not quite amber enough with straight poly, add some BLO to the poly. I have found this combo comes very close to matching many of brands of storebought oak furniture (i.e. comes in a box for you to assemble). The problem is that the pinkish color of the rack as pictured may be a result of the lighting, or it may be red oak instead of white oak.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS