Need help designing a Swivel

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Dont overthink it. In engineering I use the KISS philosophy.. Keep It Simple, Stupid!. Im thinking you wont be rotating this very often, but it will be nice to have that option occasionally, right?. If youre going to use the mount you showed previously, I would simply make 2 round pieces of whatever material you have laying around big enough to completely encompass the ceiling mounting base of the mount. As others have mentioned, get a lazy susan style swivel to mount between these 2 disks but also drill a center hole and through bolt these together with fender washers and a Nylock nut to support the vertical loads. you can adjust the squeeze on the lazy susan bearing this way as well.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Adding enough friction so it stays in position is the trick. Rotation no problem but tilt may take a little thinking. Basically make it where a couple of cork washers can be squeezed by a bolt with a nylock.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
No matter what the ceiling mount is you need to make sure you use correct hardware and make sure you are not going into a 2x4, it will need to be a 4x 4,6,12. Regardless of what the company sends you in the ceiling mount, I would look at longer and larger hardware for the attachment. Remember, if a screw or lag hold 60 lbs and you have 4 ...yipee, but that shear loading they calc for rarely considers if the adjustments occur often or if there banging/stressing into the unit. Those kind of things will cause the factory screws (usually too small in my opinion) to resist those reactions. Changing the hardware to more robust hardware is cheap insurance.

Thank you Oka for all the work on this for me. There is something similar to this out in the market. I've been stuck on the idea of the electrical retracting mount and I may have to give up on that idea entirely because it does require a lot of jerry-rigging to get it to pivot at the base. I received the commercial swivel today and it seems very robust. Weighs about 10 lbs and is rated for 1500lbs. When the tv is protracted its close to the pivot point on the swivel. But when its retracted, its not. I was thinking of doing a secondary and temporary anchor I can use when its not in use. So if the swivel fails when I'm not around, the temporary anchor will at least keep the TV from crashing to the ground.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Dont overthink it. In engineering I use the KISS philosophy.. Keep It Simple, Stupid!. Im thinking you wont be rotating this very often, but it will be nice to have that option occasionally, right?. If youre going to use the mount you showed previously, I would simply make 2 round pieces of whatever material you have laying around big enough to completely encompass the ceiling mounting base of the mount. As others have mentioned, get a lazy susan style swivel to mount between these 2 disks but also drill a center hole and through bolt these together with fender washers and a Nylock nut to support the vertical loads. you can adjust the squeeze on the lazy susan bearing this way as well.
Chris, this has been my thinking all along. Did you see the swivel mount url link I posted earlier? Its arrived at the house and it seems to be a substantial piece of kit.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Is this it? Rwm T65-42RT $70.16 1500 lb. Capacity Steel Turntable Swivel Section 4-1/2" x 6-1/2" Plate | Zoro.com

I'm being a little dense today. How does the TV attach to that and swivel?
Yes, that's it. The electric mount link on the same post as the swivel link I would mount onto some 3/4 inch plywood with carriage bolts. I would attach the swivel, also with carriage bolts on that same plywood and then attach the other side of the swivel onto a 6x12 beam using lag screws. Others have pointed out that the swivel may not have the strength its rated at if the majority of the weight isn't centered underneath the pivot point of the swivel, which makes some sense to me. That's what's got me worried.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS