Need advice re new rock maple butcher block countertops

Fay

Fay
User
Leaving aside my opinion of using wood countertops to begin with, I would recommend looking at one of the modern 'hard wax' finishes like Rubio Monocoat/OSMO/etc. Easy to apply, easy to repair, more durable than a traditional oil finish.

Wood Whisperer video on why he mostly prefers hard wax finishes to oil-varnish blends now:

-Mark
Thank you, Mark. I apologize - I completely missed your suggestion yesterday. This looks like an approach that provides excellent results, but I am put off by the long curing time - I'm self-employed, so I'm trying to engineer the shortest possible disruption to my work life. I am pretty sure I'll go with Odie's.

Fay

Fay
User
I really don't like using mineral oil on a food surface. It never dries so it always feels greasy and transfers to bread or any dry food.
Rick's recommended treatment of True Tung oil is good, it only needs to be wiped on every 3-4 years to look fresh and protect the wood. I always use organic flax seed oil. I have spoons and cutting boards that I treated over 20 years ago that we still use. Could probably use a freshen up with oil but they still shed water. DrBob is right about the equal flow of air and I would follow his advice to avoid a solid cover on the bottom. I would treat the wood with the same oil I use on top. Epoxy for a couple inches around the sink opening is a good idea to prolong the life of the countertop. As for stain or dye, I prefer the natural beauty of the wood and Maple does darken as it ages.
Thank you, Mike, and I apologize for not responding yesterday - I simply missed your post. Tung was in the running, but I'm probably going to use Odie's, which uses Tung. And I really appreciate your steering me away from mineral oil as well as your seconding DrBob's advice to avoid a solid cover on the bottom. Members of this group are the best!

buildergenius

New User
George
If you're still exploring countertop options, have you considered solid surfaces? They're quite handy as they come in a variety of colors and patterns, some of which might beautifully capture the warm, golden tones you’re after without all the maintenance that wood typically requires. You could look here for some ideas that might click with your vision. They offer a range of options that are both practical and stylish.

Fay

Fay
User
Thank you for the suggestion, but I had solid surface countertops and lived with them for well more than ten years. They still looked great the day I had them ripped out. However, I have a small kitchen and finding a place to set down a hot pot, pan, or lid was a constant pain in the butt. I'm going with the rock maple butcher block tops.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thank you for the suggestion, but I had solid surface countertops and lived with them for well more than ten years. They still looked great the day I had them ripped out. However, I have a small kitchen and finding a place to set down a hot pot, pan, or lid was a constant pain in the butt. I'm going with the rock maple butcher block tops.
Hot pans and wood counter tops don't mix well.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS