Need advice on hand planes please

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Watching YouTube vids on hand planes for a novice and most suggest a low angle block plane and Stanley #4. This is what I would like to start with, at least I think that is what I need. Anyway, the question, new or used? New block plane “wood river” $145.00 after tax. New #4 $200. So $350 seems a bit much, buying used will save me some money if I buy from someone I trust. Like a member here. Don’t know enough about what to look for to find a decent one at the flea market or auction. Thoughts.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
A good Stanley #4 isn't hard to find but a decent low angle block is a different story.

That being said..... I can hook you up with a #4. I'm sure I have a decent example laying around here somewhere. I can probably throw in a standard block as well but I'll have to look. I've parted out a couple lately.

I'll give them to you if come get them.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
My bias is always towards buying used machinery and tools. The value per dollar is usually better. I'll buy new only if I can't find what I want used. Easiest route (IMO) is as you presumed to buy from a trusted seller.

Also recommend you add something like a #78 (duplex rabbet and fillister). The blade on these extends to the sole AND they have a fence so good for a lot of misc tasks like cutting rabbets, raising panels and trimming tennons.

-Mark

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Hi Robert. Since you asked, I assume money is important in your decision. My favorite block plane is my low angle Lie-Nielsen so that would be choice for new at about $170. That being said, a vintage Stanley 65 is nice and probably available for less than $60 in great shape. And yes, you can be patient until you find one for $5.

A nice vintage Stanley #4 can be had today for less than the block plane. I prefer pre-war Stanley tools. The price difference between new and used is great, as you note.

I suggest buying from someone here that has tuned it up. Nothing will turn you from hand planes more than a frustrating early experience. That is the main advantage of buying a new premium smoother, almost guaranteed success. I have no experience with new river so not sure that is true with them.

On my phone so can't check your location, but willing to help you set them up if near triangle or triad.

Reactions: drw

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Watching YouTube vids on hand planes for a novice and most suggest a low angle block plane and Stanley #4. This is what I would like to start with, at least I think that is what I need. Anyway, the question, new or used? New block plane “wood river” $145.00 after tax. New #4 $200. So $350 seems a bit much, buying used will save me some money if I buy from someone I trust. Like a member here. Don’t know enough about what to look for to find a decent one at the flea market or auction. Thoughts.
Welcome to the rabbit hole. Chris is a good source both in knowledge and geographic proximity. When it comes to low angle block planes I would suggest you simply be patient, keep your eyes open and you will find one sometime.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Of all the planes I own I tend to use a #4 1/2 mostly (#4 is 2"wide and a 4-1/2 = 2-3/8 wide)

All my planes I bought for 50 bucks except one of those crazy Bridge city planes I paid 75 bucks for. Patience is the key. That said, keep a keen eye for Stanley planes in 1890-1920's era. They tend to be the most constitent in quality imho. Once you have a blade set up correctly, you will find yourself leaning to using a plane before any sanding. Chris can help you both in set up and what to look for.

NYTransplant

Tim
Corporate Member
I can attest to not using a plane because of a poor initial experience. A neighbor gave me an old Dunlap #4 about 25 years ago. It was her late husband's and she was selling her house to move into a nursing home. Not sure if it is pre-WWII, but it's been around awhile.

I tried it out, hated it, and it sat on the shelf as a decoration since then. I never touched that or any plane since then... until about a week ago. A couple weeks ago I built my first box a with splines. A block plane would have come in handy to cut the splines down. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and decided it was time to give planing another try.

First, I took the plane apart and cleaned it up. I didn't go nuts "restoring" it, but flattened it most of the way and cleaned and lubed the moving parts. I bought the scary sharp system for $47 at Amazon and sharpened it up yesterday. All I can say is Wow!!! I'm getting wispy continuous shavings that I can read through. I measured them at about two and a half thousandths thick. I couldn't help myself, but I planed a piece of scrap pine down to nothing because I was having so much fun. I assume the iron is not made of high carbon steel, so it may not hold an edge, but it's great for now ;-)

I'm also looking at the WoodRiver Low Angle Block Plane. If you've seen Rob Cosman's video, that's his go-to block plane now. He loves it. I was thinking about a used block plane, but in this case, I'm probably going to buy new. It seems like most people are proud of their used Stanleys. At $129, the WoodRiver looks like a good value.

IMG_6745.jpg
IMG_6783.jpg

Echd

C
User
My first experience with planes were some #4 knockoff store branded planes I'd just occasionally use for squaring up outdoor projects. I never gave them much thought.

When I started getting "serious" about woodworking as a hobby I bought a veritas low angle jack and a veritas #4. The jack is a total pleasure to use! Definitely my favorite. They weren't cheap but WW for me is a hobby and gadgetry is part of it. There is no reason a cheaper one can't do as well if tuned up.

Somewhere after that collecting them sort of just falls into place... I like having older users around too. Keep a store of old beaters around and work on them when you're bored and just need an evening project. I'm not puritanical about my planes and if one is beat up I'm not bothered by stripping and refinishing it... an attitude I was surprised to find I had, as a military surplus firearms collector I used to get a little upset about seeing old war horses get "sporterized"! I guess a handtool is just more utilitarian to me...

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I can attest to not using a plane because of a poor initial experience. A neighbor gave me an old Dunlap #4 about 25 years ago. It was her late husband's and she was selling her house to move into a nursing home. Not sure if it is pre-WWII, but it's been around awhile.

I tried it out, hated it, and it sat on the shelf as a decoration since then. I never touched that or any plane since then... until about a week ago. A couple weeks ago I built my first box a with splines. A block plane would have come in handy to cut the splines down. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and decided it was time to give planing another try.

First, I took the plane apart and cleaned it up. I didn't go nuts "restoring" it, but flattened it most of the way and cleaned and lubed the moving parts. I bought the scary sharp system for $47 at Amazon and sharpened it up yesterday. All I can say is Wow!!! I'm getting wispy continuous shavings that I can read through. I measured them at about two and a half thousandths thick. I couldn't help myself, but I planed a piece of scrap pine down to nothing because I was having so much fun. I assume the iron is not made of high carbon steel, so it may not hold an edge, but it's great for now ;-)

I'm also looking at the WoodRiver Low Angle Block Plane. If you've seen Rob Cosman's video, that's his go-to block plane now. He loves it. I was thinking about a used block plane, but in this case, I'm probably going to buy new. It seems like most people are proud of their used Stanleys. At $129, the WoodRiver looks like a good value.

View attachment 207869View attachment 207870
Congrats Tim. Looks like fun.

BTW, take what Rob Cosman has to say about WoodRiver planes with the knowledge that he helped develop them and sells them. I don't own one, so take what I say with that knowledge! :)

NYTransplant

Tim
Corporate Member
Congrats Tim. Looks like fun.

BTW, take what Rob Cosman has to say about WoodRiver planes with the knowledge that he helped develop them and sells them. I don't own one, so take what I say with that knowledge! :)
I do recall him disclosing that fact in a plane comparison. I suppose he may have to like it ;)

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Clifton, Veritas, LN, WoodRiver and others make fine tools no question. I own a couple of Veritas and have used LN planes on multiple occasions. But I can't say they work any better for me than my Stanley/Sargent/Millers Falls.

Is it easier/better for a beginner to buy a brand new boutique tool rather than a vintage example. Perhaps. But the same skills you need to fettle/tune an old plane are the same skills you need to fettle/tune a new one. And if you don't have those skills then both will prove equally frustrating.

I'm not against buying a brand new tool. Exactly the opposite in fact. There is an inherent risk in buying used that is (mostly) avoided by getting one in the box. But I can't see dropping hundreds of dollars on a new tool when I get perfectly acceptable results from a vintage one at a fraction of the cost. So I'll take that risk.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS