my first froe fest

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Today was a a first for me. I cut down an ice damaged pine a few years ago and have been sitting on two pieces of pine from the trunk. I recently made a commander and for the first time used a wedge, froe and adze and axe to begin milling up the stuff for a shaving horse. I even had my son split a piece out. Very gratifying in some unknown way...like making fire? You neanders can relate I am sure. About 5 photos on the gallery. Here are two. Will post the horse when done.
Give it a try if you haven't. rive on dudes.

DSC_0225.JPG
DSC_0220.JPG

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cool, John :icon_thum
Never used a froe nor adze . . . but I know the rewards of splitting wood with a maul (or as my dad called it: a "go-devil") :mrgreen:

Roger

Dragon

New User
David
Neanderthal work has a reward all its own.

There's something about doing a thing the "old way" and it actually working for us that strokes some deep, underlying, node in the psyche that harkens back to the days of our forefathers and gives us a moment of, "H*** Yeah, I can do that!!":icon_cheers Never owned a powered wood splitter in my life and used to "go-devil" my way through 4 to 5 cords of oak and hickory every year for firewood. I did learn to avoid sweetgum unless I was able to cut it down and split it the same day. You let it sleep on you overnight you'd better have some dynamite or C4 when you go to split it.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It looks like your having an incredible amount of fun, yet others may say it's an incredible amount of work. I keep reminding myself if you enjoy what your doing - it's not really work is it?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Admit it! I think you stole a neighborhood kits croquet mallet didn't you!

Was the pine dried out? I recall riving green wood is "easier".

I took down a big cedar tree, so if you'd like more practice, I could use a lot of shingles.

just trying to help.

Jim

02blues

New User
john
Admit it! I think you stole a neighborhood kits croquet mallet didn't you!

Was the pine dried out? I recall riving green wood is "easier".

I took down a big cedar tree, so if you'd like more practice, I could use a lot of shingles.

just trying to help.

Jim

Hey.. you don't like my little commander?? :gar-La; Ash handle and hard maple head. Turned the handle on the spring pole. The ash was kind of ruff to turn...the leather weave was a b...

Unfortunately I put a small crack in the head wacking the froe and wedge. The trees where cut down years ago and were left in my garage the entire time. Pretty dare hard on the end grain but split ok once you got them started. I really want to work some green stuff so I can tell the difference. Sounds like it would be fun to cut and turn green wood.

cheers:icon_thum
DSC_0225.JPG

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I am working toward doing some of that. Where did you get your froe? I have been looking for a used one for a while and have not been able to find one.

Go

02blues

New User
john
I am working toward doing some of that. Where did you get your froe? I have been looking for a used one for a while and have not been able to find one.

Go

Hi Mark:
I bought all of these at traditionalwoodworker.com
I really like this site. I only recently found it.
This was the "american froe" and was 50$.
This crosscut saw is amazing too.
Highly recommended.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum
I guess this turned into a gloat...:dontknow:
I actually raised the money for all of these by selling my power tools!
DSC_0228.JPG

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice looking tools..

YOU ROCK in the current vernacular!!

Thank you for the link. I'm going more neanderthal if for no other reason than to keep the old body still functioning, altho I must admit to using my old chainsaw this week in cutting down and cutting up a pecan tree for my nephew this week. Its 25+ years old, tho, so maybe it qualifies as an "Old Tool"

Go

02blues

New User
john
It is certainly a workout. The muscles in my hands are sore from from this event! It is a good feeling though. Pecan tree...nice catch. I definitely keep my eyes open when I am driving around. Good luck. I encourage you to buy a froe !:eusa_clap
PS Nice horse in your gallery. I like the adjustable feature. I am making one out of the log you saw in the photo. Trying to make it so I can either shave a "stick" or a block..like a bowl. Ive sketched a design and will post it if it works. Log is a bit short but(t) will have to do.

PS Mark, nice horse in your gallery! Enjoy the snow tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS