multiple blades?

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Have you used more than a single ten inch blade on your table saw rather than a dado set?
I want to do another Celtic knot, that is much thicker than a single blade, in a three inch block.
My dado set does not have the height. And, I'm having alignment issues using spacers, among glue up,
and thin kerf blade. A complete mess, but a tap pull was promised. Just want it to memorable for the recipient.
pull.jpg
pull.jpg

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Have you used more than a single ten inch blade on your table saw rather than a dado set?

I have but generally you’ll need identical blades or at least the same tooth count if you’re lucky. Also, for just a fat kerf, make the blade wobble a bit with a folded sticky note.

Another option if your stock is thick enough is to not cut all the way through. Then glue in the insert, let dry overnight, and repeat. This helps alignment but does complicate getting a good glue joint,

Last edited:

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
No experience, but I could forsee some issues:

- Chip clearance from the blades on the interior of your stack will be nonexistent. This would be the biggest issue IMO.
- Your motor may be overpowered unless you take tiny nibbles.
- You will still need spacers because the blade plate width is thinner than the tooth width.

Can you just use two 10" blades with spacers (or even too-short dado stack parts) in between? Then level the interior of the cut with the sides using a chisel or router plane? Could this be done better with a router?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The concern I see is this assuming your saw runs @ 3450 rpm.

Using math on this - the blade rotation for the 8"is about 21-22% less rotation than a 10"blade that means to me that, the engineers thought the smaller dia blade size was decided on because of a safety concern for the increased inertia that a stack of blades would add to the arbor.

If you wanted to stack 10 inch blades common sense you would need 2 or 3 10" 24 tooth rip blades one being a .125 and the others being thin kerf (.07-.09. They would all be flat no pitch type teeth+ shims. I would think practically probably could only do 2 blades.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've done it a few times using a pair of 24T rip blades. Stagger the teeth so they don't interfere with each other.
I never used any spacer, because I was afraid of slippage and knocking off the carbide teeth.
Be curious how that may turn out.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS