Morris Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieM

New User
Eddie
I have not posted here in some time now, been crazy busy as usual! I thought I would share this though...I made a Stickley Slant Arm Morris style chair from baltic birch plywood. I went to the Stickley store South Park area in Charlotte. I took measurements and created the model in sketch up. Once I completed that in sketch up, I designed the chair so when you look at the "front" of the chair you would see the plys kind of like seeing the quarter sawn white oak Stickley loves to use. Also, when you look at the side of the chair you'll only see the birch face (except on the front and rear rail because of the tenon going through the leg).

This was a pretty cool build because the construction is plywood, and many components are made of layers of plywood. Also, I used 90% CNC, 10% power tools. I constructed the chair by using a thru mortise, blind mortise. The arms I actually made those so they would *SNAP* on...so you would have to bend the arm slightly in order for the tenon I made fit into the slot. I thought that was pretty cool. I used my mortiser in some areas, I used my hand router in some areas. Sorry I don't know how to flip some of the pictures.

Stickley Morris Chair 1.jpgPhoto Dec 20, 3 32 26 PM.jpgPhoto Dec 20, 3 33 39 PM.jpgPhoto Dec 20, 3 17 55 PM.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very interesting. I've seen lots of Morris chairs, but never one made from plywood. While plywood is structurally sound, it isn't exactly traditional for this type of chair. Definitely thinking outside the box. Does it have a finish on it?

BKHam

Bradley
User
I like the idea a lot. i like taking something classic and putting a modern twist on it.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I like that. Very interesting. I've made three of the Morris chairs out of QS oak. They are very comfortable. I can imagine this one would be also.

Tom S.

EddieM

New User
Eddie
Thanks everyone! The finish on this is Bulls Eye Shellac. I do typically use boiled linseed oil for my Scandinavian furniture that is made from birch ply, but I tried the shellac and was pretty happy with the way it came out. Need to get the ottoman made and some cushions!

It was a fun exercise for sure. Attached is a picture when I was double checking some things to make sure it would fit when I glued my legs together.

Photo Nov 15, 3 15 14 PM.jpg

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Nice build. Thanks for sharing. This is definitely on my to do list of projects in the future when my skills improve and I feel comfortable to try.

Rick M

New User
Rick
It's different and interesting. Not sure I would want to own it for myself but then a lot of things fall under that category.

EddieM

New User
Eddie
I was thinking about making another one after I make the ottoman. What do we think about adding the brackets that are suppose to go on the sides of the legs?

kg5000

Kenny
User
Great chair. How did you get your SketchUp drawing parts into GCode? I'm guessing you exported DXF out of SketchUp and imported into a CAM package like CamBam or Cut2D. I use CamBam's CAD for some simple things but am learning SketchUp hoping I will be able to export parts in DXF.

Would you mind posting your SketchUp, CAD and GCode files so I could learn from them?

Thanks,
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS