Miter Saw Mishap : WEAR SAFETY GLASSES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
Re: Miter Saw Mishap : WEAR SAFETY GLASSES (Mystery Solved)

I beleive the mystery has been solved on how it happened. The black guard that is shown damaged in the pictures was set close to the blade but not enough to contact the blade. I was cutting a small piece off the end of the molding. It was thrown around the guard/dust collectorbetween the blade and the guard housing causing the blade to deflect enough to tear into the metal.

A couple of fellows at Klingspore have seen guards broken and waste pieces wedge so tight between the blade and the guard the waste had to be cut out with a Sawsall. To prevent this from happening always cut the waste large enough so it will not fit between the blade and the guard. The other thing that I have done to be safer is altered my cutting position. Instead of standing there with my nose at the blade, I stand to the side out of the way of a would be trajectory.

KC7CN

New User
Don
I'm glad that you were not seriously hurt! After a few short cutoff's went flying, to close for comfort, I adopted the habit of taping the short cutoff to the table and fence; use masking tape. Make the cut, and release the power switch and let the blade stop before you raise it.

-Don

Glennbear

Glenn
Re: Miter Saw Mishap : WEAR SAFETY GLASSES (Mystery Solved)

I beleive the mystery has been solved on how it happened. The black guard that is shown damaged in the pictures was set close to the blade but not enough to contact the blade. I was cutting a small piece off the end of the molding. It was thrown around the guard/dust collectorbetween the blade and the guard housing causing the blade to deflect enough to tear into the metal.

A couple of fellows at Klingspore have seen guards broken and waste pieces wedge so tight between the blade and the guard the waste had to be cut out with a Sawsall. To prevent this from happening always cut the waste large enough so it will not fit between the blade and the guard. The other thing that I have done to be safer is altered my cutting position. Instead of standing there with my nose at the blade, I stand to the side out of the way of a would be trajectory.

Thanks for sharing the explanation, saves the rest of us from potential injury and aggravation :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS