Mike Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
FYI, Ithink there was a little misunderstanding here:

Mike Davis said:
I hope my dry humor didn't vex you.

I knew the rest of the guys would cover Mortice & Tenon, Dovetail, Box, Sliding Dovetail, Loose Tenon, Inverted T Slot and Spline joints. Do we always have to be totally correct and serious? You can't stand an obvious joke?

I have a friend who is a world renowned Luthier (violin maker). A very famous concert master who happened to be rather tight cheeked (being PC nice) dropped off a rather expensive piece to be repaired. My friend did the required work and then got to thinking how this nose-in-the-air would react to a glaring mistake. But he was thinking it had to be a magnificent mistake. So, he sawed the head off a 3/4 inch hex head bolt and used a little wax to hold it to the fingerboard of this Strad box. When the guy came to pick it up he handed him the closed case and said "It won't be coming loose now!"

Smelling salts were required when the case was opened!

Ya'll have fun sometime.

This is a the PM I sent Mike:

Mike,

I think Rob was trying to be humorous back and he was referring to your exterior wall sheathing when he talked about getting to that stage. BTW, I love the violin story:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, those smilies can express many emotions. If McRabbet's statement hadn't been followed with the :roll:, I would not have thought much of it. I think Mike Davis was just making a sarcastic remark...in the topic of woodworking jointery 20d nails aren't mentioned much:lol: But when I roll my eyes at my wife, which can happen from time to time, it doesn't matter what I said, I'm up the poop creek with out a paddle.
Not everybody will always agree, and type "friendly" all the time, but as long as there isn't outright nastyness, a little rib poking is fun. Steve D, I think your PM was in good taste and well written. And also think the the violin story was very good.
Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Rob just replied letting Mike know he was trying to make a joke and I think he handled it well. I don't expect this will go anywhere but a positive direction at this point

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I had just finished reading all of the responses to that thread before I opened this one. It looks like it worked itself out. Great PM you sent to Mike though Steve. I am sure that helped smooth things out.:icon_thum

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Wow, am I NOT keeping current. Could you give me a link to the thread in question. I have no idea what is going on here

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
Ok, well handled, Steve

Maybe, I should remove:roll: :lol:

I don't know Steve. If we leave it up it will let other members get a better feel for at least how Mike Davis and McRabbet attempt to convey humor in their posts. It might also cause members to consider re-reading something in the future before they jump to a conclusion about a post. Just my two cents.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
On the topic of removing:roll:, I don't think that can follow any good statement. If that particular one could be removed without affecting all the other smilies, I would say go for it.
My .03, Dave:)

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I'd say leave it as is so that people have a sense for what generated the exchange. I've met Rob, so I knew instantly how to interpret it. If we start editing, it would be better to eliminate the related posts entirely than to take them apart, IMHO, which is now worth $.04.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS