Mark Scores Some Points W/Mary Ann!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I took the day off (yeah right:)) and hung 5 1/2in Crown molding in our kitchen with the assistance of my next door neighbor. We had a wallpaper border up there previously and it was not Cabarrus Co. Style Police approved so it had to come down (wallpaper removal should be reserved for very bad people by the way). I scored some MDF Crown seconds from a fellow in Rowan Co. a few weeks ago and got 8, 16ft sticks for $25. Most of it looked better than the crown they have at Lowe's. Anyway, It went up without a lot of problems and I'm whipped!

No caulk, no burnishing on this outside corner!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Excellent execution of a difficult task!! Did you cope the inside corners, or were your miters so perfect you didn't have to?!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Go

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Go,
No coping other than using a rasp to knock the back corners off the molding to get them to squeeze tight into the corners of the wall. The outside corner in the photo is the only one that did not need a little caulk. It took an hour to get right:oops:.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Boy, you got a lot of corners in that room8-O Brownie points with the wife are always a good gloat :icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Go,
No coping other than using a rasp to knock the back corners off the molding to get them to squeeze tight into the corners of the wall. The outside corner in the photo is the only one that did not need a little caulk. It took an hour to get right:oops:.

:rolf::rolf: I was going to ask how many times you had to cut that joint to get it right or if you just happened to get lucky with it. Crown can be a royal pain. I totally agree with you on the wallpaper removal being reserved for bad people. Really bad people should have to remove wallpaper where the wall hasn't been sized!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
It's finished! Brushes are clean, masking tape in the trash, ladder out of the house, kitchen back in order other than too many cookbooks.
I used a Lowe's gift card on a gallon of Valspar semigloss interior latex(Lowe's best paint???). I will not be buying that again and can not recommend it. It took 3 coats on pre-primed molding to get it covered and smooth (waiting 2 hrs between coats). Can't imagine what it would have been on raw wood.
Anyway...Momma's happy and I am too. Here's some photos:

J

jeff...

There's nothing like cutting upside down and backwards - nice work man :icon_thum.

My FIL knows a guy who uses a pocket knife to cut and fit molding but he's been doing it all his life.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congrats! You won't believe the people I should be able to call 'carpenters' that have put that stuff up upside down! MDF is a good option nowadays if you painting it. You just need to be sure you let it acclimate. I've used it in long runs on chair rail in hallways and it is hydrodynamic. I had some running miter joints that just wouldn't be still! Good looking job!:eusa_clap

alleng

New User
allen
wow man thats a good price for crown.and when ya get it painted,no one will be able to tell its not wood.i used a lot of mdf baseboard in my housealong with wood,and now i cant tell the difference.good work on those corners,those bay windows can be a real pita,especialy when the drywall mud is built up sothey arent a true 22.5.but then again thats why they make painters caulk:eusa_whis

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
SNIP:I used a Lowe's gift card on a gallon of Valspar semigloss interior latex(Lowe's best paint???). I will not be buying that again and can not recommend it. It took 3 coats on pre-primed molding to get it covered and smooth (waiting 2 hrs between coats). Can't imagine what it would have been on raw wood.

I have always had great success with good ole Ben Moore paint. On almost everything I have painted over the years it has never let me down. The only minus on it is the cost. But when you factor in your time it is easy to see why the pro's use it. I got stoopid last year and tried some Sears paint. Will never make that mistake again.

Your moldings look great - what happened to the gloat on your snag?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Mark,

The molding looks great. That's one on my list for this year. I have beautiful moldings on the first floor and nothing on the second. So far, I've only gotten the master bedroom done. I cheated on that one... I used corner blocks... but I do think it came out looking OK.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS