Making a pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I'd like to build 6, maybe 8 adirondacks for my house at the lake. Of course, after I make them, the kids are gonna want some, so it's production time. That's a good thing.

My second born son built a beautiful and oh-so-comfortable chair when he took shop in HS, but he made it from basswood and it didn't hold up. The wood is kinda OK, but the fasteners failed. So I have disassembled it to use as a pattern. But it's a little rough around the edges.

I'd like to make a clean pattern, but I'm seeking counsel on the best material to use for the pattern. The idea being that I gang-cut the cypress on the bandsaw (offered advice for this effort greatly welcomed) and then pattern bit the individual pieces on the router table. Since I'm going into production, so to speak, I'm reluctantly willing to take the time to make clean patterns. That is, clean up the radii and make sure the straight cuts are straight.

What would you suggest to use for the pattern? Quarter inch MDF (source?) ? BB Plywood? Resawn 1/4" pine?

Travis, can I use your spindle sander and look at your jointer?

Anybody got these already made I can borrow?

Jim

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
It sounds like you could be busy until summer making chairs but that is probably a good thing. I don't have a pattern myself, but I would probably use 1/4" mdf as the pattern material. It will lay flat and is easy to work with. It is probably cheaper that BB also.

Bob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Personally I like 1/2" MDF for patterns. I think it provides a better/larger surface for router bearings to ride on and it is more readily available (HD IIRC). Also it is a little easier to handle, 1/4" is really floppy and more prone to denting.
I just saw an article in the recent issue of PWw'ing (pg. 61) that shows a good way to make a template following fence for a BS. That would make it very easy to cut almost on the line and just need a light triming with a pattern bit afterwards.
Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I've always used 1/4" mdf, but I'm getting some ideas here. Dave makes a good point about the surface for the bearing to ride on. Close cutting with the band saw is essential I have found.

I have a set of templates that I ordered from Woodcraft (I think) that really works well and they are mdf.

Good luck and let's see some WIP pics!
:thumbs_up

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I have a set of templates that I ordered from Woodcraft (I think) that really works well and they are mdf. :thumbs_up

Lessee here... (that's let's see, in NC southern speak).

YOU have templates.

YOU are laid up.

I need templates.

I'm NOT laid up.

If I arrange for the NCWW Pony Express to transport said templates to me, I don't frankly care what is the best medium for templates. I can use YOUR templates to make MY templates. Direct reproduction, just like Mother Nature envisioned.

So, iffen you don't care, I'll see if I can get the NCWW ponies going and get your set to me and back to you, and by the time you're released from sabbatical you'll have them back.

Let me know.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Since you want them to last, for multiple chairs, I throw my vote in for tempered hardboard. I have found that MDF is too soft. It machines well and the edges are easily smoothed and polished.

I also agree with using a bandsaw template-following-fence to reduce the amount you need to remove with the pattern bit.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Just let me know when you want them. I still have the original box and can ship them to you if that's easier. When do you plan to start on them? Got your lumber yet?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Hey, Jim. If you don't have a good pattern bit, I have a brand new one from Whiteside that is 3 fluted and will eat up that cypress like butter. You are welcome to use it also if you like. It is 2" in length so you could "double up" if you wanted to if your router has the horses!

Let ME know!

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Well....

I have done the unpardonable... I have examined the dental health of an equine offered to me at no cost. As well, I have had a second thought, a moment of introspection so to speak.

Chairs must fit one's particular skeletal anatomy. That is, one's backside, while not particularly unique, does have a certain shape and form such that, when fitted into a chair that is not appropriately designed for said backside, expresses its displeasure during the entire seating. Further, said displeasure frequently extends temporally to periods beyond the removal of said backside from said offending chair.

Now, the disassembled chair that I have has been previously found appropriately designed for not only my backside, but also for the backside of my spouse. Were I to attempt to tempt fate and use a pattern that had not been test-fitted, and construct a chair (including multiples thereof) inappropriately fitted to my and mine spouse's backside, I, my spouse, my backside and her backside would be unhappy.

Therefore, while I thank you kindly for your generous offer of the loan of your pattern, I shall respectfully decline.

In other words, you can keep your horse. :embaresse

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
No harm done, no foul. Perfectly understandable. However, if after proper reflection on said subject, you determine that upon reflection, there is the minute possibility that you might reconsider, my offer is still upon the proverbial "mesa", and open to amendment. Whatever may develop, I wish you the utmost good fortune in custom fitting the chairs to the appropriate derriers!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
No harm done, no foul. Perfectly understandable. However, if after proper reflection on said subject, you determine that upon reflection, there is the minute possibility that you might reconsider, my offer is still upon the proverbial "mesa", and open to amendment. Whatever may develop, I wish you the utmost good fortune in custom fitting the chairs to the appropriate derriers!

:rotflm:

gator

George
Corporate Member
Actually, that is a new wrinkle in adirondack chairs. I have never heard of the idea of fitting them to the person. All plans that I have ever seen or heard of are a 'one-size-fits-all' catagory.

George

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Actually, that is a new wrinkle in adirondack chairs. I have never heard of the idea of fitting them to the person. All plans that I have ever seen or heard of are a 'one-size-fits-all' catagory.

George

Sorta gotta take this in reverse order. It don't matter what plans you've seen, and you've never heard a plan or a chair say anything. :argue: Okay, maybe you "heard of" plans. We both know that you know that plans can't talk. Wish they could.

It's what your behunkus SAYS when you actually sit in it. I have, as has Ms. Mama, placed the behunkus in adirondacks that were just plain uncomfortable. It has to do with the back angle and the seat slant, as well as the length from the small of your back to your knees as you sit.

Now about when you get those wrinkles in your panties... that's a whole 'nother thing. :wink_smil

gator

George
Corporate Member
I don't disagree with the concept. Its just how do you figure the angle? Find a chair that fits and then measure the angles? What if you start from scratch, how do you determine what angles fit?

Oh, by the way, I'm checking calender with LOML to make sure all is clear before I answer your PM.

George

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I don't disagree with the concept. Its just how do you figure the angle? Find a chair that fits and then measure the angles? What if you start from scratch, how do you determine what angles fit?
George

ser·en·dip·i·ty (s
ebreve.gif
r
lprime.gif
schwa.gif
n-d
ibreve.gif
p
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-t
emacr.gif
)
n. pl. ser·en·dip·i·ties 1. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries.
3. An instance of making such a discovery.

Through serendipitous (this is the adjective form of the noun defined supra) actions, one finds such a chair and, in the case of a re-seller, purchases same. Retain receipt. Disassemble (but do not dissemble) and copy (think China). Reassemble and return for refund.

Absent a reseller, one provisions oneself as necessary (do not do this without your parents' permission and never do this in full daylight or in sight of others. See Deuteronomy 5:19) Once acquired, by whatever means, duplication ensures a happy buttrest. Return is recommended and keeps Moses happy. Again, during return, the depths of shadows are your friend here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors