Maiden voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Wishing you well on the first Wounded Warrior project outreach tomorrow.
I know the NCWW team is well prepared, and equipt.

We'll be thinking of you, your students and their carers.

Steve

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'm sure there will be post from some of our other volunteers who were there today, but let me just say it exceeded our wildest expectations. I think the highlight for all of us was the enthusiasm and genuine appreciation from all the participants. When you hear one of the Warriors say, "I don't want this day to ever end", you know it's a good day.

Of course we learned some things and will make some minor adjustments for the next one, but overall it was just a great day. Several of us were taking pics and we'll try to get them up in the next couple of days.

In case you're wondering, the volunteers for today were PhilS, FredP, Sawduster, KenOfCary, Berta, and myself. And based on what we learned today, I think we need to plan on no less than 5 volunteers, and preferably 6 at every session.

Bill

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Thank you all for making this happen.
Looking forward to hearing the lessons learned
And an opportunity to participate in the future.

Steve

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
What a great day !! We really were not sure what to expect - after hearing that we would have more Wounded Warriors than expected, we unloaded all our tools and everybody rose to the challenge.

FredP and Bill Clemmons taught turning, Berta and KenOfCary taught bandsaw boxes, Sawduster handled the scroll saws and I just ran around. The day started with many warriors wondering if they could do that and very quickly changed to wow look what I did. It was so gratifying to watch our instructors and to hear the thanks and see the smiles - for those of you that are watching from the sidelines, jump in, you will be rewarded in so many ways.

Our Wounded Warrior Program Director stopped by to just get some paperwork signed and said she could only stay a few minutes ... two hours later Sawduster had her scrolling. The Fort Bragg MWR Supervisor came by, took a bunch of photos and said we have an open invitation for all future classes

We introduced 6 Wounded Warriors to wood working today -- We have over 23,000 to go.

I will add photos and videos once I figure how to add the photos right side up and I guess I need to figure out what the URL is of the videos

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
We had a blast! Met some fine young men and then proceeded to send them down the woodworking vortex.:icon_thum Not sure if we did em any favors......:D I am pretty sure we messed up some of their budgets. It was a great group.:icon_cheers They caught on quick and I think some may go the next level. In the coming days I believe we will be gettin some new members as well. So come on folks, climb aboard this train. you will be glad you did.:icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My hat is off to everyone who worked to make this day happen. Especially to Steve Coles who pushed the idea and Phil and Bill who worked more hours then you can imagine to make it happen.

Bill sign me up to help at the next session.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill sign me up to help at the next session.

Will do Scott, and thanks.

One of the lessons I took away yesterday is that we should probably plan on doing turning AND scrolling at each session, not just one or the other as we originally thought. Yesterday we were able to keep 6 Warriors busy, w/ 3 lathes and 2 scroll saws. (We may need to think about another scroll saw.)

When they weren't working on one of those tools, Berta and Ken had them making band sawn boxes, using the band saw and drill press. And along the way Ken was keeping the turning tools sharp. There was no down time for any of us. Phil says he just ran around: Not! He was the floater when anyone needed a quick bio-break, or one of the Warriors needed a little extra help, or it was time to get lunch, or whatever else needed doing. He was everywhere. As I mentioned earlier, I'm convinced we need six volunteers at each session, and would be stretched to do it w/ just five.

Looking ahead, we need to coordinate w/ the WW administrator, but our next session will probably be in mid to late January.

Bill

PS: I'm working on getting my pics uploaded ASAP.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I will remember this day for the rest of my life ! I was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs going into this. :eek: Then it was necessary to make some last minute changes to our curriculum and i really got nervous !
It was awkward for all of about 5 mins and then I was one of the ones who wished it would never end as well. The enthusiasm of the warriors, the fellowship with them and with my fellow woodworkers. the way we all pitched in and helped each other out. The way Phil was there for whatever we needed and even some things we didn't know we needed until he made them happen :D Thing is, we made a difference ya know ? These warriors gave a piece of themselves for our freedom and here we were, helping them to fill the gap just a little. I am as grateful to them as they are to us for having shared this time. I honestly think some of these guys will pursue this further. Even if they don't there is no replacing the experience. There were some serious grins and high fives at the end of the day :)

here is the proof that we had the director scrolling :D
IMG_3386resize.jpg

View image in gallery

I helped a little but it was actually the warriors who talked her into it as they were showing her what they learned and encouraging her to try

Now I've got to tell you about Jeff. Before Sat he had never seen a scroll saw before. By the end of the day he had accomplished this

while others moved around and tried different things, Jeff fell into the saw and never looked back :D

What a day .......we made a difference, ya know ? :)

sawduster

New User
Robert
Got am e-mail from Jeff today. We had discussed many aspects of scrolling, including enhancing pieces in different ways and he mentioned that he was going to try some woodburning enhancements. I kind've forgot about it until I got these pics this morning

20121210_091247.jpg

View image in gallery

The stockings and hat were part of the basic stuff we started with. Jeff and Jason got the idea to put initials in them and then Jeff decided to do his whole family. He had me drill holes in the stockings and hat but then I guess he changed his mind and put them together differently. the bird you recognize from the previous post. It will be a Christmas present for his MIL . Pretty dang creative if you ask me and especially satisfying to me as a teacher because his enthusiasm lasted beyond the time after we went home.

Good times indeed :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS