Magazines subscriptions for cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Microsoft is really pushing its search engine and related "live" services. Play games and get air miles or other prices. Buy stuff via their site and get cash back etc. For a while, they had as much as 35% cash back on "buy it now" actions on eBay.

If you sign up for their cashback program, you can get a 70% discount on magazines. Go to http://search.live.com/cashback/stores/M, and select "magazines.com". Search for "wood" and you'll see the usual suspects - PWW, FWW, Wood, AWW, WWJ etc.

After you buy the magazine, cash back is posted to your Live account. After 60 days, you can get the money out via a check, or transferred to your paypal or bank account. To sign up, all you have to do is provide standard name/ address info, the payment stuff isn't needed until you cash out.

I ordered a year of PWW for $19.95, and received $13.95 cash back into my Live account. $6 is a pretty good price, even for someone as cheap as I am! From what I can tell, the program is 'legit', i.e. you can get your money out. Haven't tried cashing out yet, but I did get some free airmiles from them. Besides, I think Microsoft is good for it :)

Note: The cash back is not shown during checkout. Also, some people report that if they try to add a coupon code during checkout, you don't get the cash back, so beware.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
OK, so I totally copied Bas. I signed up, bought the exact same subscription, and got the exact cash back amount. This proves two things.
1. Bas isn't lying!:icon_thum
2. I'm cheap too.

I was going to subscribe to PWW again anyway since I let my previous subscription lapse and I've missed it. I'd heard about the MS Live "Please help us beat Google - c'mon...We'll PAY you" promotion and this gave me a chance to try it out.:)

I guess I'll know for sure when they give up the cash in 60 days.

Note - the regular subscriptions are auto renew (unless you "cancel" later), but if you check that it is a gift subscription, they don't do that (as far as I can tell).

Greg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks for adding the part about marking it as a "gift" (hey, it's a gift to ourselves for all our hard work making sawdust, right? :)). I did that too, so I won't have to remember to cancel it a year from now. I'm pretty sure I'll resubscribe (magazine subscriptions are like routers, you never get rid of them, you just add new ones), but there will probably be another deal by then. :widea:

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Hey Bas ... I logged in to do this and it only says 50% off at Magazines.com ... is that right, or did they change it? :swoon:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Yup, it used to be 70%....you snooze, you lose I guess. Kind of annoying though, would be nice if these offers remained stable for a few weeks.

DaveD

New User
Dave
From what I can tell the offer varies by magazine. The machinist magazines I was interested in are only 5-15% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS