Machinery For The Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I thought I'd share this sketch I've been working on. Most of the model was created a few years ago. I used it to create parts lists and assembly instructions for the Router Boss and its accessories. Recently I had to pull the model out to add a new accessory.

It's probably a good example of a model drawn with too much detail for most folks. I drew all the screws and things like the system that translates the crank's rotation to the linear side to side motion of the sliding bar. There are quite a few accessories and other parts that aren't shown in this model. All of those parts get shown somewhere in the documentation, though.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hang in there Dave - you'll get the hang of using SketchUp one of these days:rotflm:.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thank you, Bill.

Ernie, people keep telling me that but I'm starting to wonder if they maybe they are just blowing smoke. :D

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
I thought it was a photo. Wow! My drawings look like the kinda stuff a little kid gets his behinder blistered for decorating the living room wall! :D

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Drawings? We don't need no stinking drawings!
We just get an idea in our head and after 6-8 tries and redos, we get it to work! :nah:
All seriousness aside, it is a great design and I only wish I had the patience to generate such graphics. Keep it up. :icon_thum

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Steve, I use Kerkythea for rendering. It's freeware and very powerful. On this one I only rendered the transparent material for the router plate. All other surfaces use the same material with a wee bit of shininess set. Similar to this. (Same view, moved one of the two lights.) It was then combined with a faces only export and a lines only export from SU. The lines export uses a line style I created. No other post processing besides combining the images. The render was only a few minutes and combining less than 2 minutes.

Last edited:

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Dave, thanks for the info. I used Kerkythea years ago but became concerned when the developers moved their efforts to a proprietary product. Is the support still strong?

That's very impressive for two minutes. Is this on a powerful machine or a laptop? Is the processing GPU or CPU? Maxwell uses CPU and it is slow without a farm.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I don't know if there's any real ongoing development of Kerkythea since Thea was put into motion but there is still a pretty good forum if you have questions. I'll admit I use about 5% of what KT can do but it's plenty for my use.

The render to a little more than 2 minutes. Maybe 10 (I was doing other stuff while it ran). It was the post processing that didn't take more than 2 minutes.

I've got a moderate powerful desktop but not anything really special. The processing is CPU based but I never find it is hogging resources.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Great job, Dave. You inspire me to wish I had more time to spend modeling on my computer. My educational background is in 3d modeling/rendering/animation. I always preferred architectural creation, which is probably why I'm drawn to furniture. My career took me in a different direction, and today I enjoy a similar process using wood and a chisel, as opposed to polygons. Control + z doesn't seem to work, though :)

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thank you, Stephen. I think you should spend more time modeling in your shop, though. ;) At the end of the day, the model I've drawn is still only a picture.

It would be nice to have a Ctrl-Z in the shop.

FWIW, the new accessory for the Router Boss is called the 4th-Axis Work Holder. It makes it easy to use the router like a lathe to make round stuff and the head with the crank has an indexer so you could do things like cutting mortises or flutes around the work.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Dave - Inspired by your model, I downloaded Kerrythea and began to [STRIKE]learn[/STRIKE] play with it. Like SketchUp, I assume Kerrythea is easier to use than it first appears. However, I viewed multiple basic videos on the tube and found them to be not basic enough. Do you know of a good beginner's tutorial?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Ernie, I do think Kerkythea is easier to use than it first appears but there are a lot of available settings so the interface looks confusing. I'm sorry. I don't know of any very basic tutorial videos out there. I gleaned some of what I know from reading the forum at the Kerkythea site and much from experimentation and thinking about it from the point of view of a photographer. As I said, I use just a small part of what KT can do. The process is pretty straightforward for me and I'm satisfied with the results. I have no interest in spending hours trying to create photo-realistic images so I developed a fairly streamlined process that does what I need it to do.

Perhaps we could arrange a time to look at it together and I can show you how I get through it.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Dave, thanks so much for your offer. I'll read and try to understand the available forums before bothering you with questions whose answers I could have figured out for myself. For those that remain, I'll be more than grateful for your advice and guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS