Lumber Storage - anyone use a connex for long-term storage?

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Good morning folks,

Somewhat getting back into the game here after a few year hiatus. I just finished building a new home, and am setting up a new/ dedicated shop space in 1 bay of a 3-car garage. Given the frequency of my woodworking/ "free-time", I'm planning on leaving this arrangement for the foreseeable future, so I'm building things out accordingly, (i.e. laying out a master plan vs a high-speed/ low drag temp setup). All of that said, I've got some ideas for space management to avoid compromising on tooling, that I'll be putting into motion here shortly, but have a couple loose-ends - namely bulk lumber storage that I'd welcome some advise on.

To complete the backstory above, I also just built a 24x36 pole barn/ shelter (roof only) for my tractor/ implements/ trailer/ etc and have a good amount of rough lumber, (~300+ bf of cedar, and ~800+ bf of WO that I had milled from trees I dropped during construction). I plan to leave this lot stacked/ stickered to air-dry under the shelter. For our construction, I also bought a 20' connex, (spent a little more and got one w/ doors on BOTH ends - an AWESOME feature), for large-lockable storage, and found it so useful, I moved it along side the barn, to keep for an enclosed yard-tool/ etc "shop", to keep that stuff out of the garage.

The room in the connex, and the fact that I have doors on both ends, has me thinking of storing any additional bulk lumber out there - say in a dedicated ~2'x8' or so footprint along one wall. The ceilings are only ~7'-6" or so, so vert storage isn't ideal, (unless I cut everything to ~7' lengths), so thinking a rack w/ long storage up high, and room to store sheetgoods laid on it's side, (supported), below.

One immediate concern is potential condensation. The contained I bought is a "newer" style, w/ more vent holes along the top, (5 ea side vs. the typical 2), and I haven't really noticed much condensation to date - with the EXCEPTION of once when I forgot to close the doors overnight, where we got some wet weather, and ALOT of condensation accumulated on the ceiling. I do suppose I could insulate the ceiling easily enough w/ the bubble insulation they use for metal roofs on a barn.

That said, do any of you folks store lumber this way pros/ cons/ different approaches I should consider?

Thanks!

HMH

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Commonly done here in Hawaii. Make sure you have some ventilation in a summer. Most here use a small 8" vornado type fan on low. If it gets real hot often, they will put a tarp canopy over it to defray the heat load.

I almost went that route

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Condensation will be an issue. We use them for on site storage of equipment and materials. The tops will sweat and drip in the heat & humidity of the summer months. I tried to glue styrofoam to the ceiling but didn't have enough struts to support it until the adhesive dried and it fell off. Contact cement just dissolved the foam. If I could have found some of those self adhesive studs used for insulating the inside of ducts, it would have been super......

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Glad to hear you already own your Comex. Due to Covid, they are harder to come by and a lot more expensive right now.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks guys,

Bruce - yes, I bout it maybe 18 months ago right when we started clearing land to build. That said, I had intended to just buy a "box", but when I saw the double-sided doors, (unfortunately only available in a "new/ i.e. "1-trip" container at the time), I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. That said, it was definitely more expensive than a single door access, but makes it MUCH more versatile. For example I could park my small tractor in it, (maybe 12" to spare on ea side), and then still have ~8' or so in front, accessed by the other door to stoop equipment, saws, compressors, etc w/o having to back the tractor in and out every time. Well worth it in my opinion.

HMH

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I do have a 20 foot container that I use for lumber storage and it is the BOMB! I have not had any problems. That being said, I stored the fresh cut walnut in it and got some noticeable warpage even though it was stacked correctly. I feel the problem was no air circulation in the container. Just a small fan would have made a big difference. I have never had a condensation problem. Mine is a light gray color and I plan to paint the top with a white rubber roof coating like that used on motor homes. That should be a big help keeping the temp down.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do have a 20 foot container that I use for lumber storage and it is the BOMB! I have not had any problems. That being said, I stored the fresh cut walnut in it and got some noticeable warpage even though it was stacked correctly. I feel the problem was no air circulation in the container. Just a small fan would have made a big difference. I have never had a condensation problem. Mine is a light gray color and I plan to paint the top with a white rubber roof coating like that used on motor homes. That should be a big help keeping the temp down.
You might want to consider adapting a solar attic ventilator to the roof.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS