Low effort kerfing plane set

Scott H

Scott
User
I've wanted to try making a "kerfing plane" or "rebate saw-plane" for a while, since I mostly use hand tools and do not have a bandsaw for resawing. There are some really gorgeous designs out there and I would love to make a real one someday. But, lately I feel like all of my projects are taking forever so I decided to try something a lot simpler.

I had some extra card scraper stock recently that was 5" long so I decided to try making some "fixed size" kerfing planes as just a test. The blade is about 5 TPI / 6 PPI. It's made out of a DFM toolworks card scraper. It could probably go coarser than that and I will probably experiment with that if I ever make more blades. The bodies are drilled out to match the blade so the same blade can work on multiple bodies. I have a 1/4" (oak) and 3/8" (maple) body made, the 1/2" body will be done next.

The nice thing about this setup is that that making a new body is just a block of wood with a rabbet in it and 3 holes drilled. The block only needs 1 true face and edge and can otherwise be scrap. It cannot lose its setting and the fence can't go out of parallel. The main thing I am noticing is that it's not as comfortable to push as a plane or saw handle would be, but that's expected for this level of simplicity. I am sure that more weight and length would help but for the smaller parts I do it seems adequate. You also can't use a 3/8" body to cut a 3/8" rabbet because the kerf will be on the wrong side of your mark.

I have only tried the 1/4" and 3/8" on SYP scraps and that worked pretty well. I'll post pictures of the results once I try it on hardwoods, I am planning on making some boxes out of cherry stock I have so that will be either the 1/4" or 3/8" plane getting used.

Attachments

• IMG-0192.jpg
    IMG-0192.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG-0195.jpg
    IMG-0195.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG-0196.jpg
    IMG-0196.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 148

Scott H

Scott
User
Nice idea. I can't tell from the picture but do you add set to the teeth?

Yeah there is set although not an enormous amount. It is basically just done like a normal rip saw. I didn't intentionally add rake either but there is a little variation tooth to tooth because I kind of did it in a rush.

Scott H

Scott
User
I filled out the set, 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". All have their fence set ~1/32" oversize. Still need to shape the 1/8" one for comfort.

I don't have my project that's going to use actual resawn hardwood planned out yet, but here is a test of the 1/8" one on SYP. The resulting thickness at the thinnest part was about 0.149" which I am pretty happy with.

There is still some technique stuff I am experimenting with, the guide kerfs don't protect you from the pieces hinging apart as the cut nears completion & that guiding the saw a little into one of the pieces. I will try cutting from both ends next time I test.

All in all I am pretty happy with such a simple/cheap approach working as well as it is. I think this is definitely 80% of the use cases I had for a true kerfing plane with a moveable fence.

Attachments

• IMG-0203.jpg
    IMG-0203.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG-0216.jpg
    IMG-0216.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG-0215.jpg
    IMG-0215.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 108

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors