Loupe for sharpening assessment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redknife

New User
Chris
I wondered if any of you are using loupes or other magnification to assess your sharpening efforts?

As background, I use DMT diamond stones and the Veritas honing guide when appropriate. I usually assess the quality of the sharpening process by how well a sharpening instrument works. I suppose that sharpening of chisels and planes with the Veritas process works with fair uniformity. I may be over-sharpening (i.e. wasting time) or under-sharpening. More of a question for me is the quality of my sharpening for curved blades like landscaping implements, a drawknife, or chainsaw blades. Unfortunately I can't make the sharpening workshop. I've read where some use loupes to assess the blades (and cite over magnification as maddening but some magnification helpful) which leads to my question:

Do you find loupes (or other magnification) helpful, harmful, or unnecessary for sharpening?

If you do find some magnification method helpful, what are the details of your method?

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I also use the DMT diamond stones as well as the Veritas honing guide. Other than plane blades, chisels and a couple of other knives I don't sharpen anything else That being said, when I think the edge is sharp, I then try to cut a sheet of paper with it. If that works, the edge is good enough for me. I don't use loupes or other magnification. I did see a video where Bob Cosman uses a magnifying glass but that seems like overkill at least for me. Some people try to shave the hair on their arms or whatever but all of that again just seems like over kill.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
I have loupes laying around, since I work in printing. I've learned that using my fingers is quicker and since I have some German ancestry, less anal...

I can get carried away with the honing when using a loupe, when all I should really worry about is turning a burr - which I can feel with my fingers.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
As soon as you feel a wire edge form turn over and hone the back with your finest stone. Then go to the next finer grit on the bevel and keep checking for the wire edge again, etc., etc.

i have made photomiscropic images to show the grind marks and wire edge but consider that only a training aid and not a working tool.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I use an optivisor for working on saw teeth. anything else I just feel it or try it on a piece of wood. I see some folks have a magnifying lamp attached to a bench. that might be helpful.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have a magnifying lamp attached to the bench at my sharpening station, but I wouldn't say it is part of my sharpening routine. I mainly use it to see details I can't quite see w/ my older eyes. It's great for removing splinters from your hand, or checking for small nicks in a blade.

As for sharpening, I get to the point where it feels right. If it makes a clean cut in paper, I'm satisfied. If the cut is ragged, it needs more work.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I use a magnifying lamp, but only when I'm lapping backs of irons.
Help me make sure the flat extends all the way to the edge.

When sharpening, I just go by feeling the wire edge.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I mostly use my sense of feel rather than sight when sharpening. I've considered getting one of those inexpensive microscopes that you hook to the USB port on your PC as a training aid. Not really to use as a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS