Learning Sketch Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Any tips on the best way to learn Sketch up? I have tried using their on line videos, but that really does not take me very far.

Scott Marshburn

New User
Scott
Hi Mark.
The first thing that I done when I started with this program was to get familiar with all of the native tools and how to use them. You may already be familiar with the sketchucation http://sketchucation.com/ sight this sight has many resources available. As well as a forum where you can ask questions. After I was familiar with the tools I just started drawing and experimenting with the different tools.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
We are extremely fortunate to have one of the world's premiere experts, Dave Richards, as a member of this forum. He has a DVD that is very helpful.

Jay Bates has a number of YouTube videos that are also helpful. He uses an older version and does somethings differently from Dave, but it's still a good starting point.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thank you for the huge compliments, Mike. :eek:

Mark, perhaps I can help you get going with SketchUp. In addition to the DVD Mike referred to, you might also have a look at this. There's a part 2 which you should be able get to from that link.

If you have have specific questions, perhaps we can chat. Send me a PM if you'd like.

Last edited:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have watched numerous videos both online and on commercial DVD's, including Dave Richards very good video plus his entries on the Fine Woodworking blog (Design, Click and Build). However, the best comprehensive set of SketchUp DVD sets I have found is by Joe Zeh and sold through Popular Woodworking's Shop Woodworking site. Here is a link to the 2-DVD set. If you purchase today, a one-day discount using the code FLASH40 may get you an even deeper discount. This set starts out with basic concepts and moves on to more advanced methods, all focused on using SketchUp for woodworking design. IMHO, It is well worth the money.

ehpoole

Ethan
The best advice I can give for learning any CAD program is to begin by confining yourself to 2D tools and learn how they work and how the snaps work. That allows you to begin learning without the initial confusion of 3D snaps and positioning (and it relates well to your 2D screen).

Once you get comfortable with 2D layout, positioning and snaps then begin learning about 3D extrusions and finally using the 3D tools and snaps. First practice with simple shapes like cubes and rectangular cubes and learning to use the snaps to stack the cubes together in various ways (as you intended, not purly random). Frequently rotate your view to make sure they stacked as intended because snaps can sometimes do funny things in 3D if you are not aware of precisely which snap you are selecting and sometimes your active viewport will hide the silliness until you rotate the view a bit and notice you really snapped to a point on the opposite end of which you had intended.

I had a terrible time trying to learn 3D CAD (very much predating SketchUp, I now use TuboCAD Pro) many years ago (80's) when all we had to work with were wire frame models and their snap points -- it was really confusing sometimes which wire frame object was which. It was not until I upgraded to a Pro version (in the 90's) and could manipulate solidly rendered objects with wireframe overlays (which creates a sort of see through translucence) that I found it much easier to work with complex 3D objects and models.

The power of today's CAD programs and computers really helping make learning easier than it used to be, but sometimes we get lost and confused by the many buttons and menu options available in what are very mature programs these days, but if you focus on the basic essentials to start with then it is much less confusing because you can ignore most of the advanced features while starting out.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Ethan,

Without getting too deep into it, Sketchup doesn't follow the same interaction and interface metaphors as 'traditional' 3D programs. It is much more free-form than they are, and is more akin to drawing with a business presentation-type of drawing tool for basic shapes and then 'pushing' and 'pulling' those shapes to get into the 3D realm. You would understand that as extrusion, but that term—and many of the tools that are associated with that term in other CAD programs—doesn't really show up in the Sketchup interface. Similarly, you don't have to specify explicitly which axis you are drawing in, as the drawing surface is simultaneously live in all three axes.

It really is significantly easier than CAD for most people to learn. If they can make a Powerpoint slide of an org. chart, they have all the basic concepts they need in order to be productive. Of course, as with any program, once you immerse yourself deeply, as Dave has done, then there are all kinds of methods one can use to make one's work more elegant and efficient. But for just getting started, it has a significantly lower (and different) threshold of knowledge over CAD and 3D illustration (Maya, etc.) programs.

K

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to Dave Richards and his chat offer. I'm the beneficiary of such an exercise several years ago and it's been remarkable.

You will learn the fundamentals of SU and Dave won't allow you to pick up bad habits when learning to use it. :icon_cheers

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Dirk, the DVD is published by The Taunton Press and is available in their store. It's also available on Amazon and the other day I found that Peach Tree Woodworking lists it in the Specialty DVDs and Rockler shows it on their site. I think the price runs around $17 but those places probably have sales. The Taunton Press also offers it as a download for maybe 12 or 13 bucks.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe it can be purchased from Klingspore as well. (it used to be available) because Coleman discounted it at the Klingspore Event - it was only $10. I didn't buy it immediately and when I went back for it - it was gone...

So give a call or go on-line to see if he has it back in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS