Laminated Plywood: A snipe hunt?

ashmatash

Ash
User
I'm trying to find a local distributer that sells any kind of laminated plywood, but when I describe what I'm looking for to the sales guys, I might as well be speaking gibberish:
I'd really like something like this that I can use to build shop cabinets and jigs:

1711554514625.png

This stuff seems to me like coolest thing since peanut butter...why is it that the only place to get it is online?

Melamine board is garbage. Why is the concept of replacing the garbage particle board with a plywood core so elusive?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
That looks like a high grade of melamine shelving to me. Try the big box stores, in-store and online, then check with local building supply stores.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
For what some of these specialty plywoods cost, it seems like it would be cost effective to buy some formica and cover a sheet of plywood yourself. The formica would be thicker and far more durable than melamine.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Or what about medium density overlay (MDO)? Two smooth faces with a plywood core. Common for sign-making.

-Mark

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member

ashmatash

Ash
User
Or what about medium density overlay (MDO)? Two smooth faces with a plywood core. Common for sign-making.

-Mark
Looked at some MDO at Southern Lumber earlier today. Looks like an interesting alternative to regular MDF, but the face doesn't have the durability or strain/water resistance I'm looking for. Still, thanks for the info!

ashmatash

Ash
User
Laminating a sheet of standard plywood w/ Formica would likely be better quality still, (thicker/ more durable outer layer), and likely significantly cheaper.
That was an option I was considering, but I didn't find it to be cheaper. Around 120 bucks for the "good" plywood without the garbage core plus another 60-80 for the formica sheet... plus glue, etc. Ends up at about the same cost as the online sheets with shipping. Still, i would probably rather take that route than having a have cut up sheet sent to me from the west coast

Last edited:

ashmatash

Ash
User
Try Diamond Hill Plywood

Will call them tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Look for at least a 7-ply core. The edges finish nicer than the 5-ply.
I've run across both two sides laminated and one side laminated. Each has advantages and disadvantaged, depending on the application.
Two side laminated is likely to be more stable, but one side means one can glue to the inside surface like casework.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS