Klingspor's selling SawStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Some people have asked where to buy the SawStop ... well, Klingspor's now is selling it. I also spoke with Dennis at WoodCraft in Matthews and he said they will be carrying it too soon (most likely).

screencapture-1.jpg

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Yup. I played with the display model at Klingspor on Saturday. First time hands-on. I open it up and was impressed. It just co$t$ so much! Plus you need a separate safety mechanism for dado blades....So that is why I am seriously considering a PM2000!

Doug

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Yup. I played with the display model at Klingspor on Saturday. First time hands-on. I open it up and was impressed. It just co$t$ so much! Plus you need a separate safety mechanism for dado blades....So that is why I am seriously considering a PM2000!

Doug

Hey Doug

I've got the SawStop and it is a VERY sweet saw. It is a little pricey, but you get what you pay for (I think the PM2000 is expensive too). In all honestly I see it as an investment in myself ... not just the shop ... plus the price isn't too bad considering the safety features (blade brake, riving knife, great splitter, power off locks, etc).

While you do need a different brake for the dado blades (because they are 8" and wider than a single 10" blade), it's not bank breaking expensive (no more than a very small pile of wood).

I would HIGHLY recommend the SawStop ... but in the same respect I don't think you can go wrong with the PM2000 either (that was my next pick in this price range).

If you'd like to put one to use, you are more than welcome to stop by my shop and give it a try. :icon_thum

Jeremy

PS - As for the beans & franks ... the SawStop has an easy to use override so you can do that too! :lol::lol::lol:

huckster

Pete
Senior User
My buddy lost 30% of his fingers on 1 hand. He does production stage building in the art world. I think the sawstop is a stellar idea. Which is why I was shocked when a guy at Klingspors told me that he saw a sawstop demo and the blade didn't stop. He told me everyone there watched as the hotdog got cut right in half. He said it was pretty embarrising for sawstop demo guy.
It makes me wonder whats the percentage of failure. After all, for most of us its going to be that one time when an accident happens that you stand to loose fingers and hands and thats when you want to make sure that 100% the blade will stop when it begins to cut flesh.

Just a grain of salt. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for safety but I'm also bound to the world of economics.

~Mooshi

BTW. The klingspor price for the PM2000 w/the 50" fence is $2,089 Amazon has it for $2,350 or so. They are not advertising the price and will not give it to you over the phone either.

I'd rather buy it from Kingspor personally. I'd prefer to keep more local humans in the equation, unless it comes to saftey : )

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
My buddy lost 30% of his fingers on 1 hand. He does production stage building in the art world. I think the sawstop is a stellar idea. Which is why I was shocked when a guy at Klingspors told me that he saw a sawstop demo and the blade didn't stop. He told me everyone there watched as the hotdog got cut right in half. He said it was pretty embarrising for sawstop demo guy.
It makes me wonder whats the percentage of failure. After all, for most of us its going to be that one time when an accident happens that you stand to loose fingers and hands and thats when you want to make sure that 100% the blade will stop when it begins to cut flesh.

Just a grain of salt. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for safety but I'm also bound to the world of economics.

~Mooshi

Someone put it best for me like this ... how do you know your airbag will work in your car? You don't. You have to trust that the company who produces the car and the company that produces the airbag is reliable, and that it will actually work when needed.

The safety device is not a reason to get "careless" when working. I practice all of the safety I did before the SawStop was in my shop ... I just now feel like I have an "airbag" that might help me should the worst ever happen.

I'll still bet the chance of it working are MUCH higher than not ... and that's good enough for me! :icon_thum

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have been a patent attorney for over twenty years and I think the Sawstop is a GREAT idea. I also think they have developed a really good saw with regards to the other features. I just cant spend that much.

BTW I lost the tip of my right pointer finger as a young boy (a dumb and I mean dumb lawn mower accident). It was just the tip of the finger and did not touch the bone. As a result I am one of the most careful people around sharp objects. That is why in another thread I stated that I ALWAYS unplug my saw when changes blades!

I think Amazon is $2,249 noe for the PM 2000. Woodcraft will do better :icon_thum .

Doug

Jeremy: Thanks for the offer to try yours out. One of theings I really like about this site.

Toddler

New User
Todd
I'm considering waiting for their contractor saw. Clearly for $1100-$1200 you can buy a hybrid or even one of Grizzly's smaller cabinet saws. But I think I'd pay for the safety feature.

Al, who's 100 feet over there -> had an accident 3 months ago with his table saw. Several surgeries, a cadaveric bone graft and tendon reconstruction later, it still hurts and isn't great . . .

Might have broken a bone with the saw stop, but probably wouldn't have done the permanent damage he now has to live with. And yeah, maybe it could have been avoided. Probably could have! But 20:20 hindsight doesn't change anything. I don't drive faster because I have 4wd and airbags. . .

Todd

DavidF

New User
David
I don't drive faster because I have 4wd and airbags. . .

Todd

I read somewhere that with the advent of all the technology in cars the accident rate has gone up! the only way to reduce accidents they say is to have a large spike coming out of the steering wheel:lol: :lol: They are also experimenting in Switzerland I think with completely open road junctions where cars and pedestrians can come and go without restriction! They say they have reduced the number of accidents because people don't assume it's safe. Sorry to hijack the thread:oops:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I read somewhere that with the advent of all the technology in cars the accident rate has gone up! the only way to reduce accidents they say is to have a large spike coming out of the steering wheel:lol: :lol: They are also experimenting in Switzerland I think with completely open road junctions where cars and pedestrians can come and go without restriction! They say they have reduced the number of accidents because people don't assume it's safe. Sorry to hijack the thread:oops:

I love these kinds of topics ... from one topic to another, but all related somehow ... good fun! :-?

Don't you think the number of accidents "increasing" is a false relationship to technology alone? Now I'm just guessing, but I would think the number of accidents might increase because (1) there are many more cars on the roads, (2) the aging population of drivers is growing faster than ever since cars have been around (the baby boomers), and (3)we now have hazzardous "toys" ... like in-dash DVD players, colorful dashboards, GPS screens down below where you shouldn't be looking when driving, cell phones, and such ... that makes more sense to me. :slap:

But I do like the idea of the spike ... kinda a funny (but sick) thought .. :rotflm:

DavidF

New User
David
I love these kinds of topics ... from one topic to another, but all related somehow ... good fun! :-?

Don't you think the number of accidents "increasing" is a false relationship to technology alone? Now I'm just guessing, but I would think the number of accidents might increase because (1) there are many more cars on the roads, (2) the aging population of drivers is growing faster than ever since cars have been around (the baby boomers), and (3)we now have hazzardous "toys" ... like in-dash DVD players, colorful dashboards, GPS screens down below where you shouldn't be looking when driving, cell phones, and such ... that makes more sense to me. :slap:

But I do like the idea of the spike ... kinda a funny (but sick) thought .. :rotflm:

I agree totally. What the industry is doing is compensating for drivers not taking responsibility for their own actions, and instead of making the situation better it's worse. In NH, in the worst snow conditions, the people doing the mad things in the outside lane all were in 4wd off roaders; you can guess that these were the ones I saw "off road" a short way down the road:lol: :lol: Anyway, best not hijack this thread any more in case I get into trouble:lol: Although these things observations could be applied to woodworking so perhaps I'm ok???

Toddler

New User
Todd
The SawStop is dirt cheap compared to what your fingers are worth 8-O , but it's not cheap!

SawStop

Dave,
I made exactly the same observation in Vermont years ago. During one storm, they actually had state troopers out on a section of the highway flagging drivers to slow down until they could get the warning signs up for black ice. I think I counted 20 cars off the road between Williston and Stowe, and 19 were 4wd :rolf: . Of course, we do have a higher % of 4wd vehicles in VT.

As to the spike, do you think that's why they put those on the "Great Biker Build Off" choppers? To make the ride safer without their helmets on?
Todd

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Interesting. It's certainly great technology, but with my luck I'd invest in the SawStop and slice my finger off with my $30 Skil saw :eusa_doh: . Thanks for posting the link though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors