Kitchen project redux

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
A few years ago just before COVID redirected our lives, my son who lives in Carrboro asked me to make 26 Shaker doors and 6 drawer fronts for their kitchen. Their house is circa 1994 and the kitchen cabinets were melamine board with slab doors and iron-on edge banding. The doors around the sink and and dishwasher were crumbling from moisture and other areas were crappy looking.

I used poplar from The Hardwood Store for the rails and stiles and 1/4" MDF for the panels. I had planned on making and installing in sections and learning to spray a job like this. I bought a tent to use as a spray booth. Then COVID got serious and limited our exposure to each other and the weather was not suitable for spraying outside.

I ended up spreading the pieces flat and brushing on these products that I had never used before. They brushed on nicely and leveled quite well. For the most part, there are no brush marks.
IMG_4601.JPG

After more than three years, the finish has held up well under daily use. I would recommend it for someone who can't spray for one reason or another. Here is what it looked like recently.
IMG_4572.JPG
IMG_4573.JPG

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
A few years ago just before COVID redirected our lives, my son who lives in Carrboro asked me to make 26 Shaker doors and 6 drawer fronts for their kitchen. Their house is circa 1994 and the kitchen cabinets were melamine board with slab doors and iron-on edge banding. The doors around the sink and and dishwasher were crumbling from moisture and other areas were crappy looking.

I used poplar from The Hardwood Store for the rails and stiles and 1/4" MDF for the panels. I had planned on making and installing in sections and learning to spray a job like this. I bought a tent to use as a spray booth. Then COVID got serious and limited our exposure to each other and the weather was not suitable for spraying outside.

I ended up spreading the pieces flat and brushing on these products that I had never used before. They brushed on nicely and leveled quite well. For the most part, there are no brush marks.
View attachment 222589

After more than three years, the finish has held up well under daily use. I would recommend it for someone who can't spray for one reason or another. Here is what it looked like recently.
View attachment 222590View attachment 222591
Wow, that looks great...

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing this. I've read good things about that combination, but it's good to know the durability as well.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Nice job pop-pop.👍

I think we automatically assume cabinets should be sprayed. I’ve done several built ins brush painted, and I’ve gotten comments that range from “I would have never guessed” to “it looks more quaint”. I’ve used mostly SW Pro Classic. A little Floetrol makes it brush better.

My brother remodeled a $2M+ home all the shelf units, mantle surround, book cases were brushed using an oil based paint. Looked great.

FYI I refaced our kitchen a couple years ago after several recommendations went with Target Coatings pigmented lacquer. The color was a very slight off white and I can report that the paint is yellowed anywhere it’s exposed to more light around a window, and there are a few mystery stains that have showed up on the uppers around the range that cannot be removed.

I’ve heard other comments about TC paint yellowing. If anyone has some ideas about this I’m all ears. But I cannot recommend this paint!

I plan to eventually redo the kitchen with either walnut lowers and white uppers, or the whole thing in cherry. 😜
IMG_3184.jpeg
IMG_3185.jpeg
IMG_3186.jpeg

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Thanks for the info!

I used BM Command on my cabinets. Sprays well but brushes and rolls not so well. At least for this non pro painter. Brush marks galore.

I will try this paint next time

I HATE setting up and cleaning my Graco airlesss

mpeele

michael
User
Nice job pop-pop.👍

I think we automatically assume cabinets should be sprayed. I’ve done several built ins brush painted, and I’ve gotten comments that range from “I would have never guessed” to “it looks more quaint”. I’ve used mostly SW Pro Classic. A little Floetrol makes it brush better.
I add Flood Penetrol to all my all my oil-based and alkyd paints. Looks like it was sprayed. Floetrol is only for water based paints.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS