Kickback!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesource

New User
Rick
As everbody heads out to the shop this weekend, just a reminder. Kickback from a tablesaw, really .....REALLY hurts. Be very careful.

4yanks

New User
Willie
I agree. About 8 years ago I caught a 1/4" ply drawer bottom in the stomach after it climbed over the back of the blade on my tablesaw. I now use a splitter whenever it is possible.

Touchwood

New User
Don
No Sh--, ... I mean Kidding!!!

It's happened to me three times...duh!

When my shop was in the garage a kickback put a 1"x1" x6ft. piece of cherry through the drywall (both sides) and into the dining room like a javelin!! Just missed me .

The other two I caught with my arm and stomach. I usually use my yellow wheels on all ripping, but these pieces were too short to be grabbed by both wheels, so I just fed them through with a push block ...except once they were through I took my eyes off things for a split second, and both times they vibrated back into the blade.:BangHead:

If you do the math, a tip on a 10" blade is moving somewhere around 120 mph. I dont think the wood picks up all that velocity...but it's close enough to cause some major bruising, or outright wounds.:-(

I used to do other stupid things, like riding "no hands" on a motorcycle", so my wife thinks I have a death wish and won't come into the shop if a machine is running:eusa_clap

"The main thing is to always remember that the main thing is the main thing"

Don

M

McRabbet

Rick,

I moved this thread to the Safety & Health Forum where it really belongs -- I can appreciate the horrors you've each experienced and know that full attention to the activity, proper push stick, a sharp blade and appropriate hold-downs can make all the difference. I've only had one significant case of kickback myself -- I had a piece of 2 x 4 I was ripping grab the blade on my 9" Rockwell tablesaw and it flew like a javelin some fifteen feet and busted a panel in my garage door. Fortunately, I was standing (as one always should when ripping) out of the direct line of the wood I was feeding. In my case, I hit a knot, but it can happen.

BTW, I now have a pair of Board-Buddies (the "yellow wheels" mentioned above) and use them for most ripping work. And it is a good thing, because I now rip stock on a 3 HP 10" cabinet saw rotating a Forrest WWII blade!!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
We had a neighbor in a community near here that had a sawmill. He got in the way of a slab that gut punched him. He was in the hospital for almost a year before he passed away. It can happen to anyone.

Nativespec

New User
David
I have had the wind knocked out of me from ripping a 2X4. I use that new magnetic featherboard which is really convenient and can be set with one hand (this would be another of MY top 10 tools of 2007).

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS