Japanning-like finish?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Starting around minute 2-1/2, this guy on YouTube finishes a plane setting hammer by heating the steel head and applying linseed oil repeatedly until the steel black.

Anyone have any experience with this technique?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Good morning!

I haven’t done this process yet, but I came across similar trying to figure out how to get a black oxide like finish on bolts. Here a bit more information that I found. Folks also use used motor oil for the blackened look.

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Took a piece of 3/4" steel tubing and a MAPP torch and got this.
Mill finish on the steel and just a wipe of acetone to prep before applying several coats of BLO to hot steel. Didn't polish like the YT guy did.
IMG_4212.jpeg

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
I can't locate the link now, but the Benchcrafted blog had an article about aging steel and iron using flax seed oil and home oven heating for an aged darkening. Same idea, maybe more control with oven...

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
It may be the lighting but does it go from flat to satin? Or is the sheen uniform?
Here it is outside in the evening light. There is a lot of sheen variation. I’ll try again using a toaster oven instead of the MAPP torch.
IMG_4213.jpeg

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
Just like the skillet, I suspect that multiple applications will give a nice uniform layer, if that’s what you’re going for.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
Idk the smoke point of BLO but I use Grapeseed (550⁰) as hot as my stove will go on my carbon steel pan and 5ish layers is easily as thick as japanning.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS