I got my first Lie-Nielsen plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I just received a LN rabbet block plane which is still on sale at Woodcraft (w/free shipping?).

Initial observation (not use)- very heavy, extremely well made. But frankly, I like the adjustment mechanism on my Lee Valley apron plane better. But what do I know, I don't speak "plane"

820626.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
Congrats on the new plane. If you think you don't "speak plane", here's my knowledge level - it's cute. :lol:

Nativespec

New User
David
I like that plane. It was going to be my only "all around" plane. I probably have about 15 planes now. I like Lee Valley's innovation and I like the Lie Nielson for its "traditional" style. Both are good, the only problem with Lee Valley is that you don't see them in stores.

David

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Alan,

Congratulations on the new plane, it's good to see that you're back to purchasing normal size items:lol:.

Jimmy:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats on that fine acquisition Alan :icon_thum
I bet you didn't even have to use the hoist to get it up to the shop :lol:

Roger

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Congrats on that fine acquisition Alan :icon_thum
I bet you didn't even have to use the hoist to get it up to the shop :lol:

Roger

Nope, no hoist this time. It was heavy as a feather in that regard!

On my fixed income I view LN planes like I do Festools - sure are nice, but not in my budget range- this is about the max I have ever spent on a hand tool.

Don't look for a use report- I honestly don't "speak plane." I don't know how to tune one, I can't tell a 4 1/2 from a 3 (if there is such a thing), all the frogs I know are in the creek, an adjustable throat is when you are choking someone, etc. I really don't even know the correct way to adjust the blade (iron?). I just needed a shoulder/rabbet plane to trim tenons and the price was right on this one (compared to LV and Stanley.) I probably should have checked Craftsman but don't think they sell a rabbet plane.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have that exact same plane and it is very easy to use. In fact, it should require no tuning whatsoever and be ready to use as is. Agreed, it isn't cheap, but it does do a good job as an all around block plane including working with end grain.

Congrats!

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Alan,

I too have that same plane and while I do speak plane,:lol: I personally don't use it all that much. I have a series of planes ranging from a LN 103 to a 605 bedrock and also a LV shoulder plane. Of the group, I find myself reaching for either the LN 103, 604, 605 or the shoulder plane. On rare occassion, I do use the rabbet block but probably could do without it. If I had to pick a goto all around plane, the little bronze 103 would be at the top. Small enough to hold in one hand but packs a lot of wallop when used properly. Naturally you won't find me doing any face planing with it but for trimming and trueing, it can't be beat in my opinion. Your mileage may vary though.

MIke

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan,

I too have that same plane and while I do speak plane,:lol: I personally don't use it all that much. I have a series of planes ranging from a LN 103 to a 605 bedrock and also a LV shoulder plane. Of the group, I find myself reaching for either the LN 103, 604, 605 or the shoulder plane. On rare occassion, I do use the rabbet block but probably could do without it. If I had to pick a goto all around plane, the little bronze 103 would be at the top. Small enough to hold in one hand but packs a lot of wallop when used properly. Naturally you won't find me doing any face planing with it but for trimming and trueing, it can't be beat in my opinion. Your mileage may vary though.

MIke

I was tempted to get one of the LV or Stanley rabbet or bullnose planes with removable tops, but couldn't think of how many times I've needed to get into a corner with a plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS