How Much Tolerance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I think we all have dealt with new machines------assembly, setup, etc. I know we would love to see everything perfect--LOL--but the truth is "life ain't perfect".

So..................what is the production tolerance in the machines being manufactured today??? Does every company have their own standards or is their an industry standard? How flat should a shaper top or jointer bed or planer bed be? How much run out on the various saws etc. ? Or
maybe a better question is what should we accept?

I am sure we have some engineers on this site that may have some answers on this---------I know we all have opinions so let me hear them. Just tell me if it is fact or opinion:rolf:

Jerry

J

jeff...

I think we all have dealt with new machines------assembly, setup, etc. I know we would love to see everything perfect--LOL--but the truth is "life ain't perfect".

So..................what is the production tolerance in the machines being manufactured today??? Does every company have their own standards or is their an industry standard? How flat should a shaper top or jointer bed or planer bed be? How much run out on the various saws etc. ? Or
maybe a better question is what should we accept?

I am sure we have some engineers on this site that may have some answers on this---------I know we all have opinions so let me hear them. Just tell me if it is fact or opinion:rolf:

Jerry

Tolerance is the ability to put up with peoples B S, without blowing your top. :BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I believe that each manufacturer has it's own tolerance standards. If you contact the manufacturer, they should be able to tell you what their tolerances are. The acceptable level of tolerance will vary with type of machinery and the expectation of the work being produced on it. In an ideal world one should expect the tightest of tolerances, and accept nothing less, but this is far from an ideal world, and wood is far from a consistent, precise and static medium.
Dang I sound like a politician :lol: :lol: a whole lot of words and nothing really said :oops:

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It varies by manufacturer. I have yet to see a published standard on the class of machines we as a group buy. The higher end (Felder, Altendorf, ritter, etc) publish some, but not the others.

For cast iron tops, I have read in magazines tolerance is .004 to .008. Anything worse should be returned. Arbors on tablesaws I have read should be better than .001. I would think the same applies to spindles on shapers.

FWIW, I called Powermatic on my PM66 tablesaw to see what their tolerance specifications were for my top, and I have yet to hear back. Guy on the phone didn't know and didn't have a clue.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
It varies by manufacturer. I have yet to see a published standard on the class of machines we as a group buy. .

For cast iron tops, I have read in magazines tolerance is .004 to .008. Anything worse should be returned. Arbors on tablesaws I have read should be better than .001. I would think the same applies to spindles on shapers.

I just recently had reason to call customer service for an issue with wing to table alignment. I learned their production tolerance was .010 on machine tops.

I was surprised the tolerance was that lenient for a machined top!!

I worked for a millwork company for five years and was responsible for quality control in the moulding dept. There is no way we could have gotten away with that amount of leeway in grinding knives or setting up the machine.

Jerry

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
.01 for a brand new cast iron machined top?

That is not what I would call good. If it is for wing sag, you can shim it with tin foil or tin from a soda can.

Is the top itself flat without the wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS