Hitachi M12V2 Opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Does anyone here own and use the newer Hitachi M12V2 3-1/4 router? I'd like to know if it is suited for use in a router table. It is on sale at Amazon.com today for $159.99 with free shipping. Since I don't have a lift, I am concerned how easer/difficult height adjustment is in a table.

Michael

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
The only way they can be used is in a table with sufficient cabinet closure material to ensure that nobody ever sees that ugly monster in your shop.:lol:

Chuck apparently likes his V2, and I have the old version. It is a horse. I'm sure Chuck will chime in on how to use the new height adjustment feature in a table setting.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have had the M12V2 for about two weeks now. I use it in a table and don't have a lift. The springs are removed to make height adjustment easier.

This router will NOT win any beauty contests. It's green and UGLY! :lol:

To change bits, I remove my router plate insert and set the router at the top of its height adjustment. There is a quick release feature on the height adjustment threaded rod that makes it easy. My opening is around 3.6 inches diameter. It is NOT possible to change the bits above table with a small diameter insert. The wrench won't fit and you can't reach the button that locks the shaft. I press the button with a screwdriver and turn the wrench. It's not very difficult.

The tool they give you to adjust the router up/down is plastic and a little cheesy but it does work okay and is accurate. There's not any torque invloved, you're just rotating the threaded rod to move the router up/down.

The router runs very smoothly and has plenty of power.

I bought this router so I could make raised panels. It spins the big bits just fine. My old router plate had a small opening. I made a temporary plate out of red oak, then bought an aluminum plate from Benchdog. The plate was supposed to be pre-drilled to fit but Hitachi changed the hole arrangement on the new model, it has dififferent spacing than the M12V, and the pre-drilled plate would not work. I ended up ordering another plate without holes and drilled my own (interesting).

You're welcome to run by my shop and check it out if you want. I'm in Rocky Mount.

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I didn't care for it enough...so I sold it to Chuck :-D It really didn't have the features that I was hoping to get in a big router like it is. I had heard great things about the old M12 and hope it just got better. I don't think that it did, but it definitely got UGLIER. The router is best designed for hand held use, and it is designed well for that...but who want to use a 13# router by hand :icon_scra It is really lacking in the features that most people buy it for...table use. Above the table bit changes are possible like Chuck said, but not as easy as other routers, and it won't accept any above table height adjustment nor router lift that I know of. Seeing as I don't really care for the style of raised panels, I will save my money and get a PC 7518 that will do what I am wanting it to do.
My $.02, FWIW :roll:
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I don't have any experience with the Hitachi, but I'd give a very solid :icon_thum to the Milwaukee 5625-20 3-1/2 HP variable speed router. I've had mine for about a year and have it mounted in my Router Table under a Rousseau plate (which has 3 sizes of openings to handle everything from P-C guide bushings to big router bits). Read this review by our own Tom Hintz. It adjusts easily from below the table or from above using the included 3/8" T-wrench. On the down side, it is about $280, but IMHO, well worth it.

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Tom did a review of the MV12V2. Ironically, I bought the MV12 that Tom used for that review and IIRC the M12V2 Chuck has came from Tom via DaveO :lol:

HTH,
Roger

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I have owned an M12 since they first came out. It did have a design flaw that should have been handled via recall or waranty but was not. The original collet bushing is prone to breakage and has since been replaced with an upgraded part.

The Hitachi was the most powerful for the price at the time and I had wanted something I could use with a panel bit in my router talble. If you plan to use it in a table with a router lift then expect to spend a couple extra hundered $ for a universal lift from Woodpeckers.com; it's the only brand I found that will connect up to the M12. You can lift it using the hand crank from under the table, but that is cumbersome at best. I did get a collet extension from Woodpeckers help with raising and lowering to change bits which is awesome.

With all this extra added stuff, I love the router. The slow start feature and extra power at low speeds make it a perfect table router. Off the table it does everything that a powerful plunge-router should and includes an andjustable guide fence.

However, and of course hindsight is always 20-20, next time I would buy a good Porter-Cable power head and a much less expensive router lift. It all depends on what you plan to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS