Not open for further replies.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I'm not trying to get on a political stump, but this is important
Jim in Mayberry​

I
title.jpg

Thank you for being a subscriber to Shavings & Sawdust, American Furniture Designs E-mail newsletter. To ensure delivery to your inbox, please add americanfurniture@cox.net to your address book.
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If you have trouble opening this page [/FONT]click here
Shavings & Sawdust​
Dedicated to the Advancement of Custom Woodworking​
Issue No. #77 American Furniture Design Company June 1, 2006
Inside this Issue Editorial from Brian Murphy Father's Day Specials
line_break.jpg
A note from Brian
As we start our Newsletter this month another school year has come to an end. I would like to call your attention to a problem in our educational system across the country. School after school are closing their woodshop programs because of a lack of funds or a directional change in administration, that view these programs as expensive and not able to contribute to the fiscal well being of a community.

High school curriculums are moving away from courses that will not lead to college entrance. Most high school administrators will tell you in great depth about SAT scores, college placement and others aspects of academic achievement. Talk with them about the students that can’t or don’t want to go to college, and what effort is being made to prepare them for the work force and you will get a different reaction.

As a country we have become so enamored with going to college that we have lost sight of the fact that there are other career paths, even through the high school woodworking programs.
Woodworking is major industry in this country and if this trend continues where will the work forces come from in the near future to support it? I would suggest that if you have the opportunity to support these programs in your community that you do so.

Here at AFD we have been supporting over 40 schools with our plans. I have had the opportunity to be involved as an advisor in the San Diego County ROP program and assist with a local high schools woodworking program.

To ensure the health of our industry we need to be involved. I would encourage you to make a phone call to your local junior high and high school and talk with the woodshop instructor. Or just send a letter asking if he or she needs assistance with their program.

This is our opinion what is yours?
Brian H. Murphy
Americanfurniture@cox.net

line_break.jpg
Here are a couple idea's for that " special " Dad for Father's Day
acornhardware2.jpg
THE ACORN WORKBENCH
The finest bench plan on the market!!! We now have complete vise groups available.
SAVE ALMOST $55.00 ON OUR SPECIAL COMBINATION PACKAGE
harristool.jpg
ROSEWOOD HANDLED CHISEL SET
[SIZE=-1]ROSEWOOD HANDLED CHISEL SET These new woodworking chisels are a combination of some of the best features of traditional English and Japanese chisels. The result is an alloy steel blade joined to a wooden handle with a socket-tang construction. The socket-tang design means that the handle is driven tightly into the socket each time the chisel is used. If the wood of the handle shrinks due to exposure to low humidity, while it may loosen from its seat in the socket, at the same time it tightens more onto the tang of the chisel. The socket design without the center chisel tang has usually meant loose handles in dry conditions. A center tang design even when combined with an outside bolster ultimately leads to many split handles. The blades of the chisels are chrome-manganese steel hardened to Rc58-60. The effect of chromium is to add hardness and strength as it refines the grain structure of the steel while manganese imparts toughness. Handles are turned from seasoned hardwood. To maintain good tool balance, the handles are turned in three different sizes. The set of five includes 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1". [/SIZE]
line_break.jpg

BRIAN.jpg
Enjoy your woodworking, and share your skills and knowledge with others.
Sig2.gif

Brian and all the folks from American Furniture Design Co
americanfurniture@cox.net
www.americanfurnituredsgn.com

email.gif

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I read that editorial when I got the e-mail and 100% agree with what is being said. I very fondly remember my Jr. High shop class and how cool I thought everything was then....it could be why I am interested in woodworking now.
Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Girls weren't allowed to take woodshop when I was in school - not that I would have. I didn't get any exposure until college - then is didn't blossom until I married LOML! But I agree that all of the trade skills are disappearing.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
We didn't have wood shops in my high school. It was all machine, automotive and electronics shops. :-( They were fun to, but it would have sparked my woodguy disease much sooner. :lol:

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I was lucky. My high school had a carpentry and masonry class. We actually built a house every two years. When the house completed it was sold and the profit used to start the next house. The program was cancelled because of the cost of insurance for the student workers. I learned a lot in those classes.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. School trade programs have been vanishing for a good while now. The result is that there are fewer and fewer trained and qualified people available for the job market. The contractors have been complaining for years about finding qualified workers. Some of the Community Colleges still have trade programs, but many of those programs have fallen victim to budget cuts or administration direction. As woodworkers, we realize the value and satisfaction of woodworking trades. Definetely give your support for the school trade programs.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Even if the kids don't become full fledged woodworkers, it is good to learn basic carpentry and construction skills so you can do maintenance and stuff around the house.

I took the academic route in high school, but wanted to take wood shop, but the way it was scheduled, I couldn't do it. I did get to do some in junior high, and I did learn quite a bit. The teacher we had was heavy into jewelry boxes. I remember him showing me some and being amazed at how someone could make that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS