High angle frog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Has anybody got or used a L-N 4 1/2 with a high angle frog? I've been considering trying one and was wondering if they are worth the cost and effort.

BobN

New User
Bob
I have one, a L-N 4 1/2 with a high angle frog. Have had one for 2 years now. It works like it is suppose to, allows you to plane wood with grain that changes direction without getting chipout. As to whether they are worth it, it depends on how often you need something that will do this. I have used mine quite a bit, but then I used all my hand planes.

Bob

striker

New User
Stephen
Larry
I have one and I totally agree with Bob. Its an excellent tool, you just have to justify the cost to yourself.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the 4 1/2 with the standard frog. It is expensive, but does a fine job. I believe you can order the high frog (think it is called york) and have it as an interchangeable option.

jglord

New User
John
I too have a L-N 4 1/2 with a york pitch frog and find it does a beautiful job, not just on complex grain but also for general smoothing of woods like maple, walnut, and cherry. I had been using a standard pitch plan for cherry until reading the article by Lyn Mangiameli on page 96 of the October Fine Woodworking. He does also point-out the york pitch plane is harder to push but it does a great job. I had an occasion today to attempt to plane the edge of a maple door to adjust the fit and found I was getting pretty bad tear-out, no matter which way I planed the board, so I switched to the 4 1/2 and smoothed the edge well.
IMHO, a standard pitch works well for easily worked woods like poplar, but if you doing much work with cherry, etc., then I'd seriously consider the 50 degree frog. I'm not sure I'd buy both due to the difficulty of changing and retuning the plane.:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Larry
I have one and I totally agree with Bob. Its an excellent tool, you just have to justify the cost to yourself.

You might only have to justify the cost to yourself, I'VE got justify the cost with LOML, the CFO, and SWMBO :rolf:

dozer

Mike
My wife won't let me have a frog. She said that I already have a dog and can't have anymore pets.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS