Hickory or Ash

taylormade

New User
BT
I am going to make a bed frame and headboard but am trying to decide between using ash or hickory. I usually work with hard maple and cherry. I know what I am getting with ash but have never worked with hickory but like the sustainability aspects of it and that it has more character than ash. Any thoughts positive or negative on hickory vs ash?

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
My understanding of hickory is that the fibers are basically cross threaded making it a denser, much harder wood. It can look amazing but will take patience and probably some sharpening of tools. Ash is a common choice for furniture because of its look and ease of work.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Saber tooth is right it is harder on tools and be prepared to sand. I built a bunk bed for my kids out of hickory and was thankful that I have access to a drum sander!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Having worked with both they have some of the same characteristics, only hickory is a harder, more dense wood. It's important when working either of these woods to pay close attention to the grain direction. Their fibers tend to tear rather than cut. I find it best to always work with the grain and skew the plane in these woods.

Ash does not have a distinctive heartwood, whereas hickory has a darker center as well as streaks of contrast. The colors are similar. Ash tends to be more blond while hickory is a bit more towards the grey tones. Spalted hickory can be an interesting choice if you want that look. Not sure how ash would be spalted. Ash would probably be more interesting quarter sawn than hickory.

I like both woods, but I've used ash most for furniture projects. My workbench top is 3" thick hickory (laminated). The top alone weighs about 250 lbs and is rock solid to work on. It shows little wear after 5 years of use.

Let us know what you decide and how the project goes. Always interested in hearing about others experiences.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I love the wild grains of hickory. Not everyone does. You should choose the look you want and then deal with the material.
Ash is of course the preferred wood for car frames.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Personally, I believe machine ability is not an issue with either. They both are pretty workable if you have the correct approach. They both are durable.

It comes down to the appearance of the final piece made. Their colors are not too far apart, Hickory has more figure, while the grain on Ash is a lot more porous.

Best advice I can give is get two samples and finish them with your preference. Then, let your better half pick and everyone will be happy.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If the wood is going to be supporting a mattress and people, hickory has the edge for strength and rigidity. There are variations within the subspecies of ash and hickory.

1    ash hickory.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS