Help me spend my B-day money

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I got some money and an Amazon gift-certificate for my birthday. I need to spend it :-D Obviously I want to buy tools :eusa_danc but I can decide on what would be the best use of the money. Here are the tools I don't have and could see a use for: Hollow chisel mortiser, OSS (although I do have a drill press sanding drum set), better handtools (rabbet plane, marking knife and guage, chisel set and sharpening stones) or a better vice. I've got about $350 to spend. If you have a suggestion please qualify it with a recommended brand and/or model. TIA for y'alls advice
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveO said:
I got some money and an Amazon gift-certificate for my birthday. I need to spend it :-D Obviously I want to buy tools :eusa_danc but I can decide on what would be the best use of the money. Here are the tools I don't have and could see a use for: Hollow chisel mortiser, OSS (although I do have a drill press sanding drum set), better handtools (rabbet plane, marking knife and guage, chisel set and sharpening stones) or a better vice. I've got about $350 to spend. If you have a suggestion please qualify it with a recommended brand and/or model. TIA for y'alls advice

Dave, I have a thought that might help you out and it will only have to spend $0.39 of your B-day cash. Print a copy of this post, wrap it around that cash, stuff it in an envelope with my address and drop it in the mail. Just think of the tremendous stress relieve this will give you.:lol:

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Personally, I'd go with something you don't have anything like. You mentioned an OSS, but you had a drill press that *could* do the job. So I'd put that low on the list. Go for something you can't easily make do with anything else in your shop.

cskipper

Cathy
You could always send the money to me - I'll keep it safe for you (yeah, right! :wink_smil )

cskipper

Cathy
Well, Dave - if you are reluctant to send the cash my way, perhaps you would consider purchasing a Hegner scroll saw and letting me store it for you (you know, quality checks and all)!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, I hardly ever buy tools anymore, and not because I have them all. I have learned that I don't need every tool they sell. But I do buy beautiful and rare exotic woods when I have a windfall of money. It is nice to be able to pull out a special piece of wood when you are looking for something to make that special project out of...

A good vise is an essential tool, however. I use my vises a lot.

Happy Birthday. Having birthday money is nice isn't it? Sorta burns a hole in your pocket....:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far :roll:
Big Mike, buying nice wood is a great idea, but I would be afraid to mangle up an expensive piece of exotic stock :crybaby2:

I was hoping that someone would reply that they have an OSS and don't use it as much as they thought, or can't live without their mortiser etc.
I am leaning towards the mortiser right now, but I have reservations about getting such a dedicated one function tool. Any thoughts on the Shop Fox 3/4 HP http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/catalog/2006/main/0103_01.jpg

Monty

New User
Monty
DaveO said:
Don't know about that one. If you want to get a mortiser check out out this review. I wouldn't worry about the single-function limitation of this machine. Having a dedicated machine for mortising means it will always be set and ready to go, so you're more likely to use it and will enjoy using it more. And, when you're not using it, it fits in a cabinet without taking up too much room.

Oh, and I use my OSS all the time. :mrgreen:

2slow

New User
chris
Dave: I've got the the delta 14-651 mortiser. I like it a lot. I have only used it on oak so far. the fit and finish is only so so but it works well. The chisels that come with it are not much good. I use these http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=123-887
to get them to fit you have to remove an extension above the chuck or use use a spacer. I had to make a spacer.
I like having a dedicated machine for mortising because that is the type of joinery I use more than any other. I guess my only complaint is that there no way to connect a vac or dc. I'm working on something for that. It really makes a mess.

Hope this helps
Chris

sapwood

New User
Roger
DaveO,

After lengthy pondering and research I have concluded you can buy a lot of beer with the much money :drunken_s

And still have enough left over to buy a few high quality marking/measuring tools.

Enjoy
Sapwood

R

rickc

How about a different approach - rather than a tool, might there be a woodworking school class you would like to attend to which you could apply the cash portion?

I would tend to think that at such classes they would introduce a particular tool or book, that might be available on Amazon.

Tough one-two punch. Knowledge and a resource!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
First off happy be-lated birthday!

As for tools, with that kind of money you can probably get a couple tools. I have a RIDGID OSCILLATING EDGE BELT / SPINDLE SANDER sander combo that is great and runs about $200. Last week I also purchased the DELTA HOLLOW CHISEL MORTISER and it seems to be working well too and cost about $225 at Woodcraft.

So, I guess I'm saying ... IF YOU WANT THOSE, GET THEM! They will def. make life easier in the shop!

As for the suggestion about buying some wood ... I really like that idea too.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a hollow chisel mortising attachment for my drill press that you can have. It two of the four chisels with it.

As for Amazon, order nothing until they are having some type of sale

grumpy

New User
Harry Goodwin
Dave: I have been oggleing that Shop Fox morticer for a long while at Retoolhere in Greenville. It's brand new and a fine heavy looking tool for around $200.oo. Retool here is trying to look a little like woodcraft. Not quite there yet. I liked it butno where to put it in the shop. Have fun with the money. That new woodworking channel have lots of how to shows continally. Harry

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
DaveO,
Bro I can tell you first hand that the shop fox is one great tool. I do not own one yet, but a friend of mine has one. As for worrying about it being a one job tool you can throw that right out the window bro,,after you get it you will be making tons and tons of traditional mortise and tennon joints. It happened to my buddy, he was the guy that used screws and glue for everything. Now he makes all sorts of traditional furniture. If you go with the mortiser make sure you get the sharpening stones from lee valley for the chisels. be blessed bro

J

jeff...

sapwood said:
DaveO,

After lengthy pondering and research I have concluded you can buy a lot of beer with the much money :drunken_s

And still have enough left over to buy a few high quality marking/measuring tools.

Enjoy
Sapwood

I really like this guy Sapwood, beer! :gar-Kr:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors