Hello from Greensboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL Spicer

New User
Al
Joe,

Thanks for the kind words on my work. I’ll try to answer your questions.

• One piece tells us the number of inside cuts there are... Did you actually 'count' them? How do we know if you're off by 1, 2, or 3??
Yes, I actually counted them not once, not twice but three times to make sure I didn’t miss any. Took my almost as long to count the cuts as it did to cut them. LOL

2. What kind of scrollsaw do you have & use?

I have an old Delta 20” scrollsaw I got in the Mid 80s.

3. What is your favorite blade type & what are the other types you use?

I prefer the Olson 2/0 for most on my cutting but also use Flying Dutchman and Pegas blades form 0/2 to #5.

4. Do you finish sand your wood before you cut or after?

I do a little sanding using 400 grit sandpaper after cutting.

5. What kind of glue do you use?

Nothing special, I use Elmer’s glue.

6. What kind of clamps do you use?

I use a verity of things to clamps the different pieces and different shapes. Whatever it takes, I sometimes use rubber bands, inner tube, small spring clamps up to pipe clamps.

7. Are all of the joints a simple Butt joint? If not, what?

Some butt joints but mostly the joints are miter joints.

8. Do you use a special type of software to design your work? If so, what?

I do all my computer drawings using a program called Freehand. It’s a graphics arts program very much like Illustrator. It’s what I learned on and I’m very comfortably with it.

I’m in the process of finishing up on the plans for last clock I completed. It’s called York Minster Cathedral. I’ll post a picture so you can take a look. This clock contains 450 pieces with 3,743 inside cuts. It is 23 1/2 inches wide, 42 inches tall and 8 inches deep. Currently I’m working on my next project which is the biggest clock project I have ever undertaken. This newest clock will have flying buttress. No pictures yet and no idea how long this one will take. I’m having a ball doing it. LOL

Best regards,

Al

AL Spicer

New User
Al
Dave,

I'm not sure which clock you are looking at, what is the name of that clock?

Jennifer took about 80 hours, Amiens Cathedral took about 300 hours and York took about 400 hours. If this doesn't answer your question let me know.

Have a nice day,

Al

cskipper

Cathy
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What thickness of wood do you prefer?

Do you prefer BB or hardwood?

Do you stack cut?

How do you sand the inside cuts (please tell me some occasionally need to be sanded :eusa_pray )?

What kind of finish do you use?

Your work is well, stunning!

AL Spicer

New User
Al
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What thickness of wood do you prefer?

Do you prefer BB or hardwood?

Do you stack cut?

How do you sand the inside cuts (please tell me some occasionally need to be sanded :eusa_pray )?

What kind of finish do you use?

Your work is well, stunning!

Cathy,

Most of the wood is 1/4 inch, but some is 1/2, 3/16, 1/8 and 3/32 depending on the part.

I use only hardwood; I don't like the look of BB with all those inside cuts. Yes, sometimes I do sand one or two of the inside cuts.:lol: I do stack cut but only two pieces at a time. For a finish I like 4 or 5 coats of semi-gloss Lacquer.

Have a nice day,
Al

cskipper

Cathy
How do you apply the lacquer? I am cutting things from about 3/8" thick that were intended to be trivets, but seem to have become window decorations. The finish has to provide heat and UV protection. I have been dipping them to get into the small places, still looking for the best method and product.

AL Spicer

New User
Al
How do you apply the lacquer? I am cutting things from about 3/8" thick that were intended to be trivets, but seem to have become window decorations. The finish has to provide heat and UV protection. I have been dipping them to get into the small places, still looking for the best method and product.

Cathy,

I use a Paasche airbrush. It does a good job of getting into all those small holes. Here is a link to a good starter kit. You will need an air compressor for the airbrush.

Item Detail

Have a nice day,

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS