hearing protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I am looking for ear muff type protection. I do not want anything that plays music or radio stations. When in the shop I really enjoy the peace and solitude. I do want something that reduces the decibel level but does allow some hearing. The sound of the tool lets me know immediately if something is not just right.

Comfort as you might expect is of prime consideration. Also a material that does not cause me to sweat. Summer heat and humidity are just around the corner.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I use the same hearing protection as I use when shooting. Purchased them at Wal Mart cheap. They do let in a little sound but it is limited.

T

toolferone

You can find differeny db ratings, but if you want it to fit well then I would look at the nicer industrial models. Some have different kinds of material or replaceable covers. I have a electronic pair I use when I am in th shop with someone else so I can hear them when the machine is not running without having to remove them.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
If you want to read an excellent article on shop noise and how to protect your hearing, get the latest (July) copy of Wood Magazine. The article explains the problem and tests various solutions as well as recommending specific brands and models. For example, the most effective are in-the-ear foam plugs (if inserted correctly). However, there are some over-the-ear protectors that come close.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
There was a review of hearing protection devices on Ask This Old House not too long ago. The best hearing protection is the one you actually wear. If it's uncomfortable, you won't use it. I have that problem with my respirator, I'll wear it when cutting MDF but not when cutting other stuff.

I use the simple band style hearing protection:
080529905376md.jpg

I can keep it around my neck, so no sorting through the mess on the work bench when it's time to make noise. Light, simple, and pretty effective. The ear muffs do a better job of blocking out the sound though. For prolonged routing and planing operations, I wear those.

woodrat

New User
Archie
Seems to me that I read/heard/seen that the roll up foam that fits in
your ear gives the best protection. At around 32 to 35 Db reduction,
they are the best you can get...if used properly. They also allow you
to hear, to a degree.

Woodrat.

DavidF

New User
David
I have a cheap pair of ear muffs I bought years ago in the UK, they work just fine and comfortable enough -

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Those foam inserts are re-useable ONLY if you keep them clean. Yet another thing I have in common with Bas....foamies for light noise duty, headphones for the really loud longterm stuff. During one afternoon of planing - with the shop vac acting as dust collector - I had foamies in my ears, and headphones on my ears. I didn't have to listen for anyone, because I knew everyone was going to stay away. :gar-Bi

R

rickc

Those foam inserts are re-useable ONLY if you keep them clean.

Clean? I thought they were like air filters - they work their best when they have accumulated some dirt & dust!! Sort of color coded you know - fair protection when yellow - at their best when brown! Hmmm - guess I'll need to reconsider. :gar-Bi

RayH

New User
Ray
The best hearing protection is the one you actually wear. .

Bas wins the prize for having the correct answer!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

After 7 years sitting on a 120db engine, I have a definite "dead spot" at the voice range in my hearing (thou the LOML insists that it is selective). The government provided excellent protectors -- which pinched like #### when worn over my specs. So, they were frequently not worn. But then, I was young and fearless, along with being indestructable.

Now I'm older, wiser, and ... what's that you said???:tinysmile_cry_t:

RayH

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas wins the prize for having the correct answer!!
I won again? I already won something at the Klingspor Extravaganza, and then at the picnic, and now here on NCWW?

So what did I win?

I SAID, WHAT DID I WIN?!?!?

:rolf:

Sorry to hear about your dead spot. Although I like the selective hearing part :) BTW, I've discovered hearing protection is needed outside the shop too - leaf blower, lawn mower, LOML, protect those ears!

R

rickc

My Dad was a Marine Corp rifle instructor in his youth. As he got older, the effects upon his hearing became more pronounced. However, my Mom would swear up and down that his "bad ear" kept switching sides during conversations with him! :gar-La;

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
I purchased an inexpensive pair of over the ear protection form HF ($4). They have worked very well (didn't realize how well till I lifted one side while the planer was running, WOW). I find myself wearing them even when the equipment is off. It provides a very quiet, allow your mind to focus, nothing to disturb you environment. I have constant ringing in my left ear due to some firearm usage several years ago. So I make point to always wear the protection.

tv

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I have used these for several years now and have been very satisfied.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/itemfind.htm?item=720709

I wear them over my glasses. They let more than enough sound through to judge tool sounds, this includes lots of tablesaw and router time.

I work in an unconditioned shop. Never had a sweating prob. with the earmuffs. General sweating is a different story :)

This might seem odd, but I remember to wear the earmuffs, unlike the little foam ones. I make them part of my "saftey suit up" routine. I keep them with my safety glasses.

I find that after setting up, but before cutting, the little break where I put on the protection helps calm me down. Its so easy to get caught up in the work and lose focus.

My little mantra is, "if I don't have time to put on the gear, am I ready to do this cut"?

Jim

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I also use the same type muffs woodworking and shooting. I think they are "Peltor" brand. They are comfortable. I keep one set in the shop and one in the shooting stuff box that goes to the range with me (another woodworking project). If you go to a site like midwayusa.com - shooting stuff - they will have a lot of variety. Another type site to look at is safety gear - I have coopersafety.com in my favorites list but I think what I last bought from them was a respirator. Another good shooting stuff place is Sinclair. They have less variety but all their stuff is pretty good.

I do not think that you need ultra high noise reduction for woodworking. Mine are mid to low level muffs and I can hear normal conversation through them.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS